BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I need to know the best oil to use in my K1200LT motor, rear end and transmission. I can't see what I'd have to buy BMW oil when there are others on the market that may be as good or better, so with that said, what shoukld I use. Today I went in for the 600 mile check and they did not put GL % in the rear. They used a red synthetic BMW oil. The book say to us GL5. What engine oils and transmission oils can I use. Why didn't they change the transmission oil at 600 miles just like they did the rear end?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Okay, I need to know the best oil to use in my K1200LT motor, rear end and transmission. I can't see what I'd have to buy BMW oil when there are others on the market that may be as good or better, so with that said, what shoukld I use. Today I went in for the 600 mile check and they did not put GL % in the rear. They used a red synthetic BMW oil. The book say to us GL5. What engine oils and transmission oils can I use. Why didn't they change the transmission oil at 600 miles just like they did the rear end?
They went by the book. Engine oil and rear drive lube get changed at the 600 mile running-in check. The tranny lube gets changed at the 12,000 mile Inspection. Once those service intervals are met, a lot of folks change all three fluids at each scheduled mileage trigger. Some, like me, change 'em at 3,000 mile intervals, butt it's definitely not necessary. (I just like doin' it to keep OPEC happy!!! You see what they're doing with our money over in Dubai!!! ;) ).

For the service check list, refer to the service and technical booklet that came with your bike - usually found behind the trunk mirror. Oh yeah, you don't have to buy BMW fluids - just be sure you use a compatible brand name. Folks change to synth at various mileage - usually around 18,000. YMMV.

Good luck with your maintenance work. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I change all three main fluids myself every 6,000 miles ( makes it easy to remember) and support my local BMW dealer by purchasing them from him. I don't rush and it takes me about an hour. You can save a little by buying elsewhere, but I just don't see the point!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have ridden BMW's for 38 years, and K bikes for the past 20 or so. I use Mobil 1, 15-50 in the engine, and Mobil 1, 75-140 in the trans. and final drive, These are both synthetic. Have used these products for years and have never had any problem at all. I change the engine oil at around 6,000, and the trans. and rear end once a year no matter how many miles. The oil from the trans. and rear looks like new after a year and 10 to 15 thousand miles. It's good stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Mobil 1 also, I buy it at wally-mart saves a bunch, got the filters, (don't forget the air and fuel filters) at beemer boneyard. :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
dandiver said:
I change all three main fluids myself every 6,000 miles ( makes it easy to remember) and support my local BMW dealer by purchasing them from him. I don't rush and it takes me about an hour. You can save a little by buying elsewhere, but I just don't see the point!
My dealer is 40 miles away and I don't particularly care to go back unless I really need to.

The specs for the LT fluids are published by BMW. As long as the fluids meet these specs then why spend the money, the time, and abandon principle to use genuine BMW fluids.

BMW does not manufacture the lubes or filters for these machines anyway. They contract with someone else to package their products, which meet BMW's specifications, in BMW labeled containers. As far as oil filters go there might be some mitigation of risk by using the BMW filter over the Bosch (or other brand) but I guess that I like to live just a leeeeetle bit on the edge. Emphasis on leeeeetle! Just don't believe the risk is there and ardently hope I'm never proven wrong. BTW the dot matrix print on the factory filter is also paint. Just not as much of it.

BeemerBoneyard (or local auto parts jobber) for filters and o-rings and Castrol 4M for engine oil and should be good to go. I did use Royal Purple for gear box and FD fluid for the following reasons:

1.) RP met BMW's specs and current dealer products
2.) Have read no disparaging reports on Royal Purple
3.) Seems like good Karma, Feng Shui etc. Mauve metallic is just a fancy name for that Royal color Purple.

Pretty good reasoning on 1 and 2 above. Kinda lame on #3!

Loren

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Castrol 20/50 Full synthetic in the motor every 6K. Mobil 1 in the trans & FD every 12K. Both from Walmart. All my filters (air , oil, fuel) come from BeemerBoneyard .

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
wa1200lt said:
My dealer is 40 miles away and I don't particularly care to go back unless I really need to.

The specs for the LT fluids are published by BMW. As long as the fluids meet these specs then why spend the money, the time, and abandon principle to use genuine BMW fluids.

BMW does not manufacture the lubes or filters for these machines anyway. They contract with someone else to package their products, which meet BMW's specifications, in BMW labeled containers. As far as oil filters go there might be some mitigation of risk by using the BMW filter over the Bosch (or other brand) but I guess that I like to live just a leeeeetle bit on the edge. Emphasis on leeeeetle! Just don't believe the risk is there and ardently hope I'm never proven wrong. BTW the dot matrix print on the factory filter is also paint. Just not as much of it.

BeemerBoneyard (or local auto parts jobber) for filters and o-rings and Castrol 4M for engine oil and should be good to go. I did use Royal Purple for gear box and FD fluid for the following reasons:

1.) RP met BMW's specs and current dealer products
2.) Have read no disparaging reports on Royal Purple
3.) Seems like good Karma, Feng Shui etc. Mauve metallic is just a fancy name for that Royal color Purple.

Pretty good reasoning on 1 and 2 above. Kinda lame on #3!

Loren

It has nothing to do with Karma. My dealer is about an hour ride and I like the idea of supporting the local community. The dealer made me a good deal on the used bike (it had 1,006 miles on it) and I like to show them my appreciation and support. For selfish reasons, I like to replace the fluids myself as I enjoy it. I just don't see the advantage of pinching pennies on the oils.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I use Castrol 20/50 and Royal Purple so far in the trans and FD. I buy my oil at Wal-Mart and my filters at Autozone. I buy parts from BMW when I have to. Otherwise I don't owe them anything. They're overpriced. They don't work for pennies. The want bucks...............like me........ ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts
learn to do more myself, but keep going to the dealer as the next one may be alot further away...

Havent yall seen the car dealers getting thinned out?

(i know this will get a few)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I changed engine oil last night and intended to tackle transmission & FD. Purchased synthetic Gear Lube from local BMW store yesterday. Had 75-90W in my hand and was told to use 75-140W, which is what I purchased.

My 07 LT manual calls for 90W in trans & FD & I know that I've seen several on this site using Mobil 1.

Can someone tell me if 75-140W is OK in the LT?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
dandiver said:
It has nothing to do with Karma. My dealer is about an hour ride and I like the idea of supporting the local community. The dealer made me a good deal on the used bike (it had 1,006 miles on it) and I like to show them my appreciation and support. For selfish reasons, I like to replace the fluids myself as I enjoy it. I just don't see the advantage of pinching pennies on the oils.
Last post for me on this thread. Dan, I respect your choice of buying "genuine BMW" lubricants from your local dealer. I respect your choice to patronize your dealer by buying these products.

The point I was trying to make is this: There is NO DIFFERENCE, from a lubrication perspective, and therefore NO ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER, to using BMW lubes instead of products that meet the same specs. Castrol 4M 20W/50 meets the same specs as the BMW oil, is available within a few blocks of my house, and is a lot less money. Royal Purple is the same way. IF (caps for emphasis) I felt the need to support my "local" dealer by purchasing dinosaur by-products from them, I'd buy my oil at the local Auto Zone and send my dealer a check for the difference. Any idea how hard it is to write this (send my dealer a check for the difference, like they have earned it) with a straight face?

I guess I'm too much of a greedy capitalist to spend money I don't need to where I don't need to. The dealership that relies on selling over-priced lubricants to make ends meet is a house of cards.

The good news is we both have the choice.

Loren

·
Registered
676 Posts
To fwkraft, After purchasing my used 2000 LT, I checked with the dealer in Seattle, to purchase an oil filter, and the guy at the dealer recommended the 75-140W synthetic for the final drive and tranny

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Last post for me on this thread. Dan, I respect your choice of buying "genuine BMW" lubricants from your local dealer. I respect your choice to patronize your dealer by buying these products.

The point I was trying to make is this: There is NO DIFFERENCE, from a lubrication perspective, and therefore NO ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER, to using BMW lubes instead of products that meet the same specs. Castrol 4M 20W/50 meets the same specs as the BMW oil, is available within a few blocks of my house, and is a lot less money. Royal Purple is the same way. IF (caps for emphasis) I felt the need to support my "local" dealer by purchasing dinosaur by-products from them, I'd buy my oil at the local Auto Zone and send my dealer a check for the difference. Any idea how hard it is to write this (send my dealer a check for the difference, like they have earned it) with a straight face?

I guess I'm too much of a greedy capitalist to spend money I don't need to where I don't need to. The dealership that relies on selling over-priced lubricants to make ends meet is a house of cards.

The good news is we both have the choice.

Loren
Hi Loren,

I really do understand how you feel and so that you will know exactly where I am coming from, I too am a greedy capitalist with libertarian leanings. I am a VERY strong supporter of free enterprise and one of my favorite books is, "Atlas Shrugged."

From an emotional point of view, I support this site even though I could remain anonymous and still get the technical benefit without paying. I choose to show my support, as you, by subscribing. I definitely get value here, but I don't have to!

My rational in supporting the dealer in a minimal way is to "show" some support and hope he is there, like insurance, when I may have a future need. Way too many BMW dealers are closing the doors and or are having to pick up different lines to stay in business. Buying my fluid changing supplies is not going to make a big difference, but it is my way of "voting." I do spend some time occasionally talking the the shop's techs and salespeople and want them to know that I am a customer and not just someone who takes and doesn't give.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What? An oil thread and no one has mentioned Amsoil? :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Welllll..... Not untl just now!

The worm can is now officially open!

Dang it Dan I ppromised my previous post would be the last for this thread. Just couldn't pass this one up!

VRodPete said:
What? An oil thread and no one has mentioned Amsoil? :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
For 45 years I maintained vehicles for my family and saved tons of money...last year I bought a new LT and decided it was time to treat myself. So far this year I have put just shy of 18,000 miles on this wonderful machine. I schedule AM appointments at my dealer, and tell them which bike I want to test ride for the day. When I return, just before they close, I thank them...pay a lot of money (from what I saved) and enjoy getting back on my LT. I am glad they understand how to maintain this thing. Life is really really good. Gotta go fix the dishwasher...somethings leakin

Sure do like the 1300GT. Look forward to the S 1000 RR hitting the showroom floor ! :wave

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
In the past I have used nothing but Synthetic, true PAO synthetics, Amsoil, Mobile1, Royal Purple. If you are buying synthetic make sure it is a TRUE synthetic.

I no longer run it in my engine on the BMW. I use good old Dino Castrol 20-50W or 10-40W now in Fall/Winter.

Still use Amsoil in the FD 80-90W and 75-140 in the Tranny. I also add 1 TSP of strait Moly to the FD.

I change engine oil too often to use Synth as it is for extended drains. A waste of money. I do all my fluids every 3000 miles, and while a lot will say a waste, it makes me comfortable.

Filters I use Bosh from Rock Auto at 3.37 each.

These things do not care what flavor you use as long as it meets specs.

As far as dealer support I tried, no matter how hard you do, the Dealer is going to get you one way or another. In these economic times they are desperate and it makes them greedy. Not all I know, but can you really trust them?

Use a good oil in the motor, synth in the FD and Tranny. While 75-140 does work in the FD the Spec is 90 W I believe. So a quart of Amsoil 80-90 does the FD 4 times, and a 3/4 quart for the Tranny.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
LAF said:
In the past I have used nothing but Synthetic, true PAO synthetics, Amsoil, Mobile1, Royal Purple. If you are buying synthetic make sure it is a TRUE synthetic.
What is wrong with ester-base synthetics? You realize that ****** started with a diester product...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts