BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread on here about how to about add oil to the rear shock. Can anyone remember where it was located and pros or cons?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
No cons only Pros... made my 05 Lt like new again with only 13K miles it has sun down to near nuthin!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
As the others have said, it works well and you can tell a difference. However, keep in mind that you are not adding oil to the shock, you are only adding oil to the adjustment mechanism. If your shock starts to loose oil from the shock body this procedure wont work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody. Did it and it worked well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Instructions by JPSpen states that hydraulic jack oil be used while the post at http://members.cox.net/slartidbartf...l/shock-oil.htm states that you can use regular oil. Any comments on this. Mine definately needs to be done.

I am constantly amazed at the great info and advice that is shared on the site.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
NRuest said:
Instructions by JPSpen states that hydraulic jack oil be used while the post at http://members.cox.net/slartidbartf...l/shock-oil.htm states that you can use regular oil. Any comments on this. Mine definately needs to be done.

I am constantly amazed at the great info and advice that is shared on the site.
Well, there is jack oil originally in the adjustment system. If you add some regular oil on top of it I don't think it would hurt anything. The amounts are so small and the main purpose of the oil is to "deliver" the pressure from the handwheel piston to the shock counterpart. Both oils would do this job. Perhaps some oil specilist could say if the regular oil hurts some seals or something, which I personally doubt...

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts