BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered mine, front and rear. Any tips, likes or dislikes????? Will it make the LT feel better???

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
motorman587 said:
Just ordered mine, front and rear. Any tips, likes or dislikes????? Will it make the LT feel better???
Don't waste your money on that junk. The stock shocks are better than those Swedish meatballs.

Just kidding. They make a huge difference, and you will love them. Don't be afraid to play around with the rebound damper setting on the rear shock. It can be adjusted by just reaching under the bike, and even two clicks makes a big difference in how cushy the ride is. Plenty of installation tips already on this site, so I won't bother to repeat. If you're a big guy, you might want to check the sag after you install them to be sure the spring preload doesn't need to be adjusted. And don't replace the spring just because everybody says you should. Try the stock one first.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kdog said:
Don't waste your money on that junk. The stock shocks are better than those Swedish meatballs.

A little tear came out of my eye, when I first read that. Hehehe, thanks for the tip. Can not wait to get them installed. I also replace the steering damper, plus new rubber. The wife is not happen, but I keep telling her it is better than a new bike.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Joel,

Ohlins don´t have a "stock" spring as such.

They basically have 2, one for lighter riders and one for heavier ones, which I think they consider to be over 120 kgs.

The weights are posted somewhere on the site.

John, seeing what you do, you will notice the difference immeadiately.

Simon

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
motorman587 said:
The wife is not happy, but I keep telling her it is better than a new bike.
You will not believe the difference, and, if your wife likes to ride, she WILL be happy, too!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Big Bad John,
You will love them! You will be able to ride the Lt like the RT cause it will sit up higher. No more wallowing in the leans. Rear is a snap to put on and the front a little harder only because of the amout of teardown. Have had mine about 12k miles and love the ride.

Be safe!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
simoncharles said:
Joel,

Ohlins don´t have a "stock" spring as such.

They basically have 2, one for lighter riders and one for heavier ones, which I think they consider to be over 120 kgs.

Simon
Thanks, Simon. My point of reference was a suspension shop in CA who talked me into swapping out my stock spring (probably the lighter one), in favor of a different manufacturer's spring (Eisenbach I believe.) I never did like that spring, and eventually switched back to my stock one. Of course, I'm a little shit. :D

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you'll find a distributor in the states who sells the shock with the heavier Ohlins springs. Lots of shops will replace the spring with a different brand, like my rebuilder did.

Anyway, I guess my overall point to John was don't get talked into swapping out your spring unnecessarily. The stock spring, which ever one it is, is pretty darn good.

Cheers,
-joel

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I would suggest going to a susupension shop and have them setup the shocks for you. Getting the correct settings for sag, damping, etc., makes a HUGE difference in th eamount of comfort and fun you will have with these new toys!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had them on 03 GT and made huge difference - put them on the 05 LT and made the ride really smooth.

Possibly selling mine soon (w/30,000 miles on them), as I'm giving some thought to getting a new GT. Would make someone a sweet deal that will really improve the ride and handling. PM if interested.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You will think someone took your bike and left you another, but better one! Ohlins shocks make a HUGE difference, and even better they can be completely rebuilt for around $100 each. Do that about every 30K miles and the smiles return every time. Keep your old ones to put on while the Ohlins are out for rebuild.

Some have just had the Nitrogen gas pressure recharged instead of rebuild when they start to feel soft or not damping as well, cheaper yet, around $20 each.

·
Registered
320 Posts
John,

Just got the Ohlins installed last week. With 78k on the odo. I should have done it about 40k ago. I had mine setup for my weight (big), and they are great! Haven't had a chance to play with the adjustments yet, but so far they are a big improvement over the original shocks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I put Ohlins on mine { 05 KLT }over the winter. I think I may have 350 miles on her with the new shocks. Boy is this great. Much better feel and handling ....wife likes the ride also. Now I can really drag the pegs :D
Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
I too, have Ohlins on the front and rear of my "99" and 60,000 miles later they are still great. (I also pull a trailer).

Wolf

·
Registered
244 Posts
Put a new set of Ohlins on about 1000 miles ago. I was talked into the heaviest spring because of 2 up riding. I weigh around 235. It was a huge improvement as far as handling, but when I have it set up for good handling it is a little harsh on some bumps. Still a big improvement. If I keep the bike, next time I will try the softer springs.

Mickey

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the relpys. I think I did a good investment and can wait to get them installed. All I got to say is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEt......................

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Mine are to stiff but that is better than the stocker's! One thing I noticed right away was going over speed bumps in parking lots no more draggin. No wallow in long sweepers either. I even put the extended pegs back on and hardley ever drag. I only weigh 160 with all the gear on and I took off the top box and only ride 1 up so this is why it is a firm ride but very controlled and I like that. You will love them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts