BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really getting into biking now and see that all the best sports bikes use Ohlins. Has anyone got them on their RT and what difference did they make?. I have got a 2010 model with ESA. I see you can also buy Ohlins for the RT with ESA but its pricey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Gs921441 said:
I am really getting into biking now and see that all the best sports bikes use Ohlins. Has anyone got them on their RT and what difference did they make?. I have got a 2010 model with ESA. I see you can also buy Ohlins for the RT with ESA but its pricey.
I do not have Ohlins on my '07 RT with ESA yet. But I have used them on sport bikes always ordered to my weight and riding style and they are AWESOME. That being said I want to use up my stock ESA shocks first but when their done I will step up to the pay window and get what I consider the best. Many people also like the Wilburs shocks on BMW's. The best thing is you are getting a rebuild-able shock. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Look into Webers available with ESA for less than stock prices! An added benefit is they're designed specifically for your wait and height can be lowered if wished... I know you asked specifically for Ohlins so I'll leave it at this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
One option for cost control is to consider whether you really need or want ESA.
ESA is expensive to buy and can be expensive to maintain as various failures are not unknown. Its primary utility is for those who ride 2 up a lot and need to switch suspension settings back and forth. Otherwise you'll probably do what most owners do- play with it a little then leave it where you like it for solo riding...

Ohlins or any other first class shock are a significant upgrade to the RTs oem stuff and you would, of course, get them made for your weight and type of riding. The stock shocks aren't junk by any means but they're not in the same class for performance either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
racer7 said:
One option for cost control is to consider whether you really need or want ESA.
ESA is expensive to buy and can be expensive to maintain as various failures are not unknown. Its primary utility is for those who ride 2 up a lot and need to switch suspension settings back and forth. Otherwise you'll probably do what most owners do- play with it a little then leave it where you like it for solo riding...

Ohlins or any other first class shock are a significant upgrade to the RTs oem stuff and you would, of course, get them made for your weight and type of riding. The stock shocks aren't junk by any means but they're not in the same class for performance either.
^^^ Totally agree! This is exactly why I passed on ESA... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
MeanGene said:
Look into Webers available with ESA for less than stock prices! An added benefit is they're designed specifically for your wait and height can be lowered if wished... I know you asked specifically for Ohlins so I'll leave it at this...
Wilbers....? I put Ohlins on my GS and they were the second best bike add on I have ever bought. Aerostitch riding suit was #1. I plan on using Wilbers next time. Made in Germany to your order via a USA dealer of choice. I like Ted Porter but there are others too of course. I will be looking for a set that will use my BMW ESA motors.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top