BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body know why a new Ohlins rear shock for my 2000 K1200LT, from Bobs BMW costs $875, while from Dan Kyle Racing the same thing is only $1200?

·
Registered
498 Posts
+ for Bobs! That's a great price......

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
My pair of Ohlins was only $1,100. Somewhere in NC is where I got them.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I bought a SET from Kyle Racing for less then $1200.00 shipped. I'm sure Dan is quoting a SET price not just the rear.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
katnapinn said:
I bought a SET from Kyle Racing for less then $1200.00 shipped. I'm sure Dan is quoting a SET price not just the rear.
OOPS! Foot in mouth!!! That would be a great price for both!! My sincerest apologies to the good folks at Dan Kyle Racing!!! I already changed the front in the fall (to an Ohlins).
Humbly, Greg.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
Does any body know why a new Ohlins rear shock for my 2000 K1200LT, from Bobs BMW costs $875, while from Dan Kyle Racing the same thing is only $1200?
I just checked their site and do not see any parts listed for the LT. Did you find the parts on their web site or did you have to call them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 LT and looking to replace the front and rear stock shocks with Ohlins. Dan Kyle Racing has them in stock he says and quoted me $1398 for the set. My local BMW dealer in VA said that it would take 3-4 weeks to order the shocks because they will be built to my specifications and riding style. My local BMW dealer did not get back to me with a quote, but I am sure it will be close to the retail price in the neighborhood of $1700 a pair.

If Dan Kyle already has these shocks in stock then how does he build them to me? Is it a matter of which spring he uses or what? If these shocks are built for a specific rider then is there a problem ordering in stock and off the shelf Ohlins? I am waiting for Dan's reply to this question and wanted the forum's thoughts. I am sure Dan knows what he is talking about and a lot of you on the forum have used him before for your Ohlins purchases.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
They usually have the shock in stock as well as several springs. It dose not take them long to install the correct springs to match your expected weight load. The valving is usually not custom built unless you request it durning a re-build. The spring rate is critical so that the preload adjuster can always get you in the middle of the suspention travel under static loading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks John,

I was just a little concerned because I have read numerous threads where folks complained that their shocks were too stiff and that they wish they had given the dealer a lower weight when they built them.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don´t believe all this stuff about building each shock for each individual rider.

Ohlins only have two springs for the rear shock, one for heavy riders who normally ride with heavy loads and another for lighter riders with lighter loads.

Thats it.

It´s then up to each person to adjust the pre-load and re-bound according to his taste, if the settings are not to his liking when it arrives from the dealer.

They normally are as Ohlins has a standard setting for each model and type of bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts