BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting three different answers on what rear spring I should have on an Ohlins rear shock and all of them supposedly coming from Ohlins in different ways. My self, my wife and all the luggage she can fit comes to 500 lbs. I've been told a spring 01099-79, a 01099-84 and a 01099-89. If anyone with an Ohlin shock knows there spring size I would appreciate knowing their total weight and how the like it.
Jon

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
If you are getting three different answers from the same shop then shop elsewhere. A good builder will ask you the right questions and provide the correct spring. I have been happy with mine but I don't know the spring. Hard Racing in NC built mine in 06 and re-built them this year. Even had them "soften" the damping in the front shock a bit - nice.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Call Kyle Racing & talk to Dan Kyle himself. He will set up the shock so they fit you & your riding style. He set up mine & the LT was 200% better.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I have had two LT's with Ohlins, IMO go with the stiffest spring rate on the rear. The LT is a heavy heavy motorcycle and much of the weight rides in the rear. It is under sprung from the factory for anything but one up with no luggage.

As for the front go with a middle spring rate, I had the stiffest rate up front on my first LT and it was to much.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
CVJ said:
. ... I've been told a spring 01099-79, a 01099-84 and a 01099-89. If anyone with an Ohlin shock knows there spring size I would appreciate knowing their total weight and how the like it.
Jon
Jon, When I got mine a few years back I received what I was told was appropriate for us, two-up with luggage. I weighed probably 230 or so and added another 120 for my wife. My spring shows 1099-74 as of last month when it was rebuilt.I've been very happy with my purchase. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you My weight is some what heavier than yours and my shock is to. I think I'll go with what it have.
Jon

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I'll have to look at mine for P/Ns. Dan Kyle set them up. I told him 2 riders @ 200# each plus 50# of luggage. 25% one up, 50% two up, 25% two up with luggage. Lean to the sporty side of ride, and they came back perfect. The service guy doing inspections at Lonestar asked what I did to the ride saying it was the best riding 2001 he'd ever been on.

I guess all those years of racing and the ones since of doing tuning, Dan knows his stuff! ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I ordered my Ohlin from the local BMW shop, I had 390 pounds; driver, passenger, and luggage. The spring that came with the shock was a 1099-79. The shock worked great with the bike and two up riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts