BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was wounder if Ohlin shocks make that much of a difference in ride ? Is it worth the cost? Thanks Mike

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Short answer is "Yes" I ordered mine from Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing. I called him & he asked a few questions about my height, Weight, riding style. Also if I rode 2 up or not, then he set up the shocks to fit me best. The Ohlins made the bike better then new.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
An amazing change for the better, both my LT's have had ohlins. Get them set up properly and Dan Kyle has great service.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I put on the Wilbers shocks set up for my riding style, and weight, it was like night and day!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I added front and rear Ohlins and the LT's handling is definitely sharper and I sense that the bike is more planted through the curves. I am not looking forward to the labor costs when it comes to the rebuild but it's still worth it. I had Wilburs on my Moto Guzzi and they were good but I'm glad that I gave Ohlins a try this time. Good luck with the decision making process.
Scott

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes, they sure are! Got mine through Dan Kyle. Huge difference in the ride and handling.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My Stock rear shock failed while I was on an extended tour out west. After being 'hauled' from South Dakota to Bak BMW in Sioux City, Iowa for the repair, I was absolutely amazed to feel the difference the ohlin rear shock made. It transformed the LT!

They are indeed worth the money.

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
Absolutely put on new shocks. Money well spent... I had the Wilbers on my LT.
I like the Wilbers because the service interval is 30k and the Ohlins are 15k

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I, like many others on here, bought the HyperPro SPRINGS from EPM. Great service. Now I just need to install them so I can start enjoying the new ride that everyone raves about!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I too..bought the Hyperpro springs from EPM. The service and shipping time was good.
The cost was under $300 (I think).
I planned to install them this winter.
However....... when I got back from my last ride, the front felt mushy.
When I push down on it, it rebounds .......like almost twice.
I figure that there's no point in putting a new spring onto a mushy front shock.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A number of people have put Hyperpro springs on and are happy as I am with mine, I do think the stock shock part of the strut is too stiff for the stronger springs so if you want a "tuned" strut then ohlins or wilburs

·
Registered
438 Posts
No Really !
I'm Curious !
Does Anyone Have Any Experience And / Or Opinions About Hyperpro Shocks ?
Or Do I Have To Get Either Ohlins Or Wilbers ?
??

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
rhawk said:
No Really !
I'm Curious !
Does Anyone Have Any Experience And / Or Opinions About Hyperpro Shocks ?
Or Do I Have To Get Either Ohlins Or Wilbers ?
??
Bunches of info on the Hyperpro shocks, as well as the addition of Hyperpro springs being added to OEM shocks. Quick search on "Hyper Pro" and similar keywords should give you loads of reading material. You can also ping Ron Kellenbenz (kellenbenz) about Hyperpro - he has extensive experience on his LT and maybe another model or two. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ohlins took all the wallow out on the sweepers and just transforms the bike for the better. It will sit an inch higher though.

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
simoncharles said:
Since when ?
A buddy put a set of Ohlins on this LT and I put the Wilbers on my LT.
His manual recommended a 15k service interval to have the shocks rebuilt.
(You don't have to if you do not what to)
Ted Porter also told me the same thing and he sells both brands.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts