BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cant get over this thing 70 miles today after I picked her up and man what a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Quiet, powerful, stable, quiet, OH yeah, I said that. :D

Had it on the highway and twisties and although I am not scraping pegs it will come to that I am sure.

Just a wonderful machine overall.

Way different riding then a Harley. First it rides nice as hell. seating position is good but I will need to get my feet out or down. Windshield is too tall and cutting my vision so I ordered a Cee Bailey #2 -4 in Ice Blue of course.

I need a seat and back rest and need to know if an 05 and 07 seat are the same? Corbin don't make anything after 05 and it is not on their "list" to do.

Learning the gadgets will take some time but as long as I know brake, clutch and shifter I am good to go.

Great bike and I will be out after it cools off a bit here in Pensatucky.

Looked down on the way home and was at a buck and it felt like 60. I was told to ride it the way I am going to ride, get through the gears as much as I can, vary the speed, do not lug it and do not baby it. I can do that.

If anyone has info on a seat for an 07 would appreciate that as I need to get that ordered ASAP, why are all badges the same? 20 something thousand dollar bike and they cant go to a good seat manufacturer for their seats? Guess keep the after market strong?

I guess you can tell I am a bit giddy with new ownership and don't regret letting the Road Glide go. Not sure if I would have kept it even if economics did not play such an important roll in the choice. Guess it don't matter got a clear title on its way to me so no payments and just goodies to buy. I think the Glide would have sat anyway.

Any input appreciated.

Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
Congrats Lee!

Can't help ya none on the seat, but thanks for sharing the Giddy. Brings back fond memories. Just this morning again!!

Best to ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Congrats!

I also don't have anything to add on your question as I really like my stock seat...behinds are all different :)

You are going to love it :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
i hear ya buddy.......

picked mine up last thursday, did a 900km ride this weekend (about 550 miles).

i was all set to buy an ultra classic from harley but they kept screwing me over and over i finally pulled my deposit money and walked away.

within the 1st 50 miles i looked back at my wife smiling and saying that i was SOOOO glad i didn't buy the harley!!!!!!!

i just love this bike!!!

ps. i have the "soft touch" heated seats and they worked great!
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
LAF said:
Just cant get over this thing 70 miles today after I picked her up and man what a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Quiet, powerful, stable, quiet, OH yeah, I said that. :D

Had it on the highway and twisties and although I am not scraping pegs it will come to that I am sure.

Just a wonderful machine overall.

Way different riding then a Harley. First it rides nice as hell. seating position is good but I will need to get my feet out or down. Windshield is too tall and cutting my vision so I ordered a Cee Bailey #2 -4 in Ice Blue of course.

I need a seat and back rest and need to know if an 05 and 07 seat are the same? Corbin don't make anything after 05 and it is not on their "list" to do.

Learning the gadgets will take some time but as long as I know brake, clutch and shifter I am good to go.

Great bike and I will be out after it cools off a bit here in Pensatucky.

Looked down on the way home and was at a buck and it felt like 60. I was told to ride it the way I am going to ride, get through the gears as much as I can, vary the speed, do not lug it and do not baby it. I can do that.

If anyone has info on a seat for an 07 would appreciate that as I need to get that ordered ASAP, why are all badges the same? 20 something thousand dollar bike and they cant go to a good seat manufacturer for their seats? Guess keep the after market strong?

I guess you can tell I am a bit giddy with new ownership and don't regret letting the Road Glide go. Not sure if I would have kept it even if economics did not play such an important roll in the choice. Guess it don't matter got a clear title on its way to me so no payments and just goodies to buy. I think the Glide would have sat anyway.

Any input appreciated.

Lee
Congrats on the new bike!!

BTW the #2 -4 shield is only going to net you about an inch lower. If the stock was way too high I would go lower....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
Congrats Lee. It only gets better with time and miles.

As for the seat, I'm 99.9% sure that an '05 seat will fit an '07. LTs are basically broken up into 2 categories: Pre-'05 and post-'04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Differents seats.

I have a comfort seat made by BMW and rode to Alaska / back. No problem with the behind, but I know we all have different ones. Also Rick or Bill Myers, I think is the spelling, makes special seats.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tedhudson said:
Congrats on the new bike!!

BTW the #2 -4 shield is only going to net you about an inch lower. If the stock was way too high I would go lower....
Well they (cee) say their stock is 24", mine is a tall I think as it measures 24", -4 will be 20" and that will be fine I think. Christ when I put it up the whole way I thought I was going into the "Cone Of Silence" on Maxwell Smart :rotf:

Thanks,
Lee
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
messenger13 said:
Congrats Lee. It only gets better with time and miles.

As for the seat, I'm 99.9% sure that an '05 seat will fit an '07. LTs are basically broken up into 2 categories: Pre-'05 and post-'04.
Thanks for the info, it must, as another forum member has offered a Corbin he had on an 06 so I think it may be so. We will see.

Thank you,
Lee
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
motorman587 said:
I have a comfort seat made by BMW and rode to Alaska / back. No problem with the behind, but I know we all have different ones. Also Rick or Bill Myers, I think is the spelling, makes special seats.
I guess I need to give the soft touch low seat a chance, after so many miles in the same seat it is like loosing an old friend but it may get better.

Hope to go to AZ and back next summer so I surely will know by then.

Thing on the customs is I don't want to be without a seat so not sure how to accomplish that but will look into it.

Thanks,
Lee
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
Yes on the Corbin seats. I have one I took off my 05 and put on my new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
LAF said:
Just cant get over this thing 70 miles today after I picked her up and man what a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ... Windshield is too tall and cutting my vision so I ordered a Cee Bailey #2 -4 in Ice Blue of course.
Congratulations, Lee! We love happy new LT owners. :)

Regarding the windshield "cutting your vision". Um, you do know it raises up and down electrically, right? So it's in your vision in the down position, I'm assuming. I know you already ordered a new shield, but here's another option you can play with. It's actually very easy to cut a few inches off the stock shield. Tape up the area with masking tape, draw a profile on it with a sharpie, then saw off with a hand-held jig saw. You could take a little off, go for a ride, and repeat until you have it dialed in just right. Then use a file and sandpaper to smooth the cut edge. You can do all this with the shield right on the bike. Don't take off too much or you'll be losing protection when the shield is raised.

And of course, if you change your seat, that may change your view over the shield as well. I'm not sure from your post, but it sounds like you have the low seat on it? You problem may be solved by using a stock height seat.

Anyway, welcome and good riding.
-joel
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
kdog said:
Congratulations, Lee! We love happy new LT owners. :)

Regarding the windshield "cutting your vision". Um, you do know it raises up and down electrically, right? So it's in your vision in the down position, I'm assuming. I know you already ordered a new shield, but here's another option you can play with. It's actually very easy to cut a few inches off the stock shield. Tape up the area with masking tape, draw a profile on it with a sharpie, then saw off with a hand-held jig saw. You could take a little off, go for a ride, and repeat until you have it dialed in just right. Then use a file and sandpaper to smooth the cut edge. You can do all this with the shield right on the bike. Don't take off too much or you'll be losing protection when the shield is raised.

And of course, if you change your seat, that may change your view over the shield as well. I'm not sure from your post, but it sounds like you have the low seat on it? You problem may be solved by using a stock height seat.

Anyway, welcome and good riding.
-joel
Great information and food for thought for sure.

In the full down position it is just below my site line if I "sit tall in the saddle" if you know what I mean, if a go into the position the bike wants my body to sit in, it IS in my sight line.

I do know it goes up and down and man, damn BMW put one heck of a shield on the LT, I really could not BELIEVE how far it went up!

I think -4 and then raising it if I have to will work better as I do not think I will ever need the height it is now fully extended, and the "bitch" on the back can fend for herself :)

And Since it has been all but confirmed the 05 seat fits a 07, and a new seat and a backrest move me forward or up, I still think I can cover me enough at full height -4 with the design of the curve in the Cee I will be OK, and see above about the "bitch" :D

On edit: I was a glazier for 17 years of my life and I cut and flamed polished more Plexi then I want to remember. I cut my RG shield. I have just found from Using the Clear View shield (great shield and they make BMW) on my RG, the curve makes a bid difference and I want to keep the "Big Mutha Hunker" stocker to have in case something goes south, and really needed an excuse to spend some money on this SWEET ride. And hell got it in Blue to match the bike too :p

Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
LAF said:
----------------------------------------------
On edit: I was a glazier for 17 years of my life and I cut and flamed polished more Plexi then I want to remember. -----------------------
Just don't try flame polishing the stock shield! It is polycarbonate, not acrylic. Flame polishing, or any kind of polishing for that matter, is much tougher than with acrylic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I have about 9000 miles on my 2007 K1200LT and IMHO the "comfort" seat is the most miserable, uncomfortable stock motorcycle seat I've ever been on (yes, even worse than the K1100 LT I owned in the past). I thought at first it just needed to break in, but clearly it is not the seat for me. I have an August appointment with Rich's in Seattle to get it fixed. Good luck with yours!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pickerbiker said:
Congrats on the new ride. I have about 9000 miles on my 2007 K1200LT and IMHO the "comfort" seat is the most miserable, uncomfortable stock motorcycle seat I've ever been on (yes, even worse than the K1100 LT I owned in the past). I thought at first it just needed to break in, but clearly it is not the seat for me. I have an August appointment with Rich's in Seattle to get it fixed. Good luck with yours!
Not what I wanted to hear but I am a bit confused, is the Soft Touch Low a Comfort seat?

I need to have my dealer look at 05-06-07 seat part numbers as the Corbin rig is over 1200 :( That is flat passenger rest, passenger seat, rider seat and back rest. So if you take 400 for the back rest that is available, you are out 800 for a new seats. I am just way paranoid about that cash outlay without knowing for sure. Although on the Corbin page it does state to install their low you must modify below the seat just as if you were installing a BMW low? As Corbin told me on the phone there is NO returns.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dshealey said:
Just don't try flame polishing the stock shield! It is polycarbonate, not acrylic. Flame polishing, or any kind of polishing for that matter, is much tougher than with acrylic.
Either way you are just using heat to melt the cutting marks out and at that time 30 years ago we used a floor standing wet sander taking it up into 800 and 1000 grit, and we did work Lexan also. Our boss spent the money on paper mask because we cut so many patterns. On glass we would finish with cork belts to high polish after going through the grits from on some pattern cuts 80 to start, but most 120, up to 800-1600 then cork.

Now they use diamond wheels and coolant water on the glass and it is automated.

Anyway hope the CEE is all it is supposed to be, and I like it as well as what I have read on here, except for optical issues. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Hey Lee,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I picked mine up Memorial Day weekend and I still haven't gotten over it. The smile usually lasts until about Wednesday. At about 200 miles you'll start picking up horses, and the grin will really widen.

Enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
LAF said:
Looked down on the way home and was at a buck and it felt like 60.....
I guess you can tell I am a bit giddy with new ownership...
Just started my fourth year with my '03 and I still get giddy - congrats!
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top