BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news... This past weekend I was riding interstate, went to downshift from 5th and realized I could not. The clutch seemed fine, normal feel, but the shift lever would not change gear. As I clutched and tried to shift I could feel the rpm's winding up like I was out of gear when I got to about 3-4k rpm. I towed her home and immediately saw fluid under the transmission. Upon draining the gear oil, I found the mess pictured below...

The clutch on this bike was dealer-replaced just prior to my purchase a year ago at about 70k miles and I now have just under 104k.

I'm assuming my transmission is toast? With the gear slip under acceleration, is my clutch also?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Most likely someone drilled a weep hole in the clutch housing so your oil on the floor may be coming from that hole. That indicates to me that the input shaft bearing/seal on the transmission has gone out and is allowing the oil to escape into the clutch housing. Your transmission may or may not be toast, but you're in for an expensive repair either way. That's a big chunk of metal on the top of the magnet.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Most likely someone drilled a weep hole in the clutch housing so your oil on the floor may be coming from that hole. That indicates to me that the input shaft bearing/seal on the transmission has gone out and is allowing the oil to escape into the clutch housing. Your transmission may or may not be toast, but you're in for an expensive repair either way. That's a big chunk of metal on the top of the magnet.
That is exactly what happened to my clutch transmission. The bearing went out (cheapest part of the repair) and the fluid contaminated the clutch disc (most expensive part of the repair). The transmission needs to be removed and the failure will be obvious. Bought a new bearing and took to a machine shop to install; I was able to remove the busted one. Luckily no other damage.
I preemptively replaced the slave cylinder, even though there was issues with it, and drilled weep hole for the slave and below the clutch.
Best of luck!
I struggled a bit and got help from this forum, especially from John Z.
Here is my thread...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,914 Posts
The input shaft bearing seems to be the weak link in the transmission. Fairly easy to replace (after you pull the transmission that is). It is the only thing I have seen fail in the tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts