BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride this morning and kept smelling gas when ever I stopped. When I returned home and parked I noticed I had a leak on the right side dripping out the fairing hole by the valve cover opening. Before I start taking all the fairing off has anyone else had a simlar problem in that area? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just had the same problem a few week ago. It was the plastic fuel quick dis-connects. pretty easy job. About tenty minutes to remove tupperware from right side and five minutes to replace the connectors. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Order some metal ones from Beemerboneyard, cheaper than the stealer.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Ron, there are a few tip on this forum on how to do the replacement.

For me, the biggest PITA was removing the old plastic ones. I was finally able to use a very tiny screwdriver to wedge out the clip holding in the disconnect. Have a few sharpened wood pencils to stick up in the openings too. It took longer to remove the old ones than it to to do the installation.

Get some needle nose pliers to clip off the gas flow when you remove the old disconnects.

I'm sure that there are a few other tips others will have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just replaced mine with the steel ones from beemerboneyard as part of my 24K maintenance. Seventy five bucks for the pair and definitely worth the peace of mind. As Dan noted, the biggest PITA is removing the crimped hose clamps. I developed a technique using channel lock pliers to hold the clamp with my left hand while prying a small screwdriver with my right hand into the small loop left by the crimping tool until the clamp was loose and would slide away from the QD. I also had to replace the fuel filter using the same technique so I had the pleasure of honing my technique on a total of six clamps. Using the channel locks may not work for you as well since you will be working with the fuel tank in place. This is another one of those design head scratchers.... A $20k + bike and they couldn't squeeze in steel QD's?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here's the easy way to get the old clamps off. Take a set of "end cutters". Cut the crimp completely off. About 3 seconds per clamp and no danger of damaging the hoses.

I fortunately new that this would eventually happen so I already had the boneyard fittings. Good luck! Not a difficult job at all.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
RocketRon said:
Take a set of "end cutters". Cut the crimp completely off. About 3 seconds per clamp and no danger of damaging the hoses.
Great tip! Wish I had thought of it at the time...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Search online, I can't recall where I got them, but I only paid about $13.00 a pair for the metal ones I purchased.

Good luck, and glad you didn't have a fire.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DanDiver said:
Great tip! Wish I had thought of it at the time...
Hit a "snag" on removeing the right fairing! Removed all the screws and it seems that at the very top, under the radio/fuel door, it won't come loose. Does anyone know if it snaps in at the top or do you have to remove radio head and dash apron? Grrrrrrrrr!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
RonHolly said:
Hit a "snag" on removeing the right fairing! Removed all the screws and it seems that at the very top, under the radio/fuel door, it won't come loose. Does anyone know if it snaps in at the top or do you have to remove radio head and dash apron? Grrrrrrrrr!
Ron,
I know it seems like something will break when you are at this point, but if all the screws are removed ....pull it towards the back of the bike and wiggle it. It will jump right off and surprise you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
johnbaker15 said:
Ron,
I know it seems like something will break when you are at this point, but if all the screws are removed ....pull it towards the back of the bike and wiggle it. It will jump right off and surprise you.

Thanks John! I'll go outside and give it a try. If it works I'll continue working. If not then "I'll be back!' Ron

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RonHolly said:
Thanks John! I'll go outside and give it a try. If it works I'll continue working. If not then "I'll be back!' Ron
Yup, it worked. When I pulled the right side off I saw t he quick connects. Soon as I touched one it just fell open and gas started streaming out. (Did'nt prepare for the obvious.) Grabbed one of the large cooking pots from the kitchen to catch gas. Glad I was almost empty and did'nt fill up the tank yesterday. About two gallons wasted. Thanks again for your help. Now I have to order a couple QD connectors.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Hemostats work great to stop the flow. I recommend you do one line at a time. When you do the second line reverse the placement of the quick disconnect (i.e. line one female on the left, line two female on the right). That way, you can't miss-plug lines. Got mine from Beemer Boneyard. Great peace of mind with the steel ones. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
BennyBob said:
Hemostats work great to stop the flow. I recommend you do one line at a time. When you do the second line reverse the placement of the quick disconnect (i.e. line one female on the left, line two female on the right). That way, you can't miss-plug lines. Got mine from Beemer Boneyard. Great peace of mind with the steel ones. Good luck. ;)
Thanks. I just ordered a new set from Beemer Boneyard for $83.00 shipped. Now I'm just in the waiting mode.

Being I have to wait a while, I think I'll change the tranny oil with 75w-140 to quieten shifting down a bit.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Just caught up to your post here Ron,
had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago,
wrote about it here (with pictures)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Just caught up to your post here Ron,
had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago,
wrote about it here (with pictures)
Hans,
So how did that lottery ticket work out for you? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I know that you ordered your QDs from BB.

Many of us ordered them from RacerPartsWholesale.com and like them better. It is a like a Ford/Chevy thing in that you use the ones you like for the reasons you believe to be valid.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
RonHolly said:
Thanks. I just ordered a new set from Beemer Boneyard for $83.00 shipped. Now I'm just in the waiting mode.

Being I have to wait a while, I think I'll change the tranny oil with 75w-140 to quieten shifting down a bit.
If you want to ride this weekend just put a brass coupler in each line, clamp them down with good (fuel injection type) hose clamps and you are back in business.
Heck, put it back together this way and put the QD's on the shelf for the next time you have the tupperware off. You can ride like the wind with or without the QD's.

Loren

1 - 20 of 29 Posts