BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I needed to change my oil and figured I would replace the throttle cables at the same time. So everything is off and I did find out why my grip heater didn't work on the throttle side. Broken wire which I fixed. I also have the new fittings for the fuel tank I'll replace while I'm at it. Doing away with some more wiring also. Haven't even got to the oil yet. Don't have the throttle cables connected either. Have them on the handle bar just haven't tackled the other end yet. I don't want to take off the air box? It sure looks tight to try and work in there. I'm not in any hurry. I'm not going anywhere until the Winter Ralley. I sure hope it worth all the trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
You can leave the airbox on if you get a long set of forceps to hook up your throttle cable. Makes it very easy............ :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
rattler50 said:
You can leave the airbox on if you get a long set of forceps to hook up your throttle cable. Makes it very easy............ :D
Just finished replacing the throttle cables and "hats off" to anyone able to replace the cables without removing the airbox. I was not too anxious to remove the box but simply could not imagine how to do the replacement the box on.

At the end - removing the box was not difficult after figuring out how to open those "non-reusable" hose clamps. #3 screw-type hose clamp was also somewhat PIA.

·
Registered
478 Posts
just did my throttel cables sound like the same all around service.

a couple of dont do,s lol i just learned the hard way
1 dont forget to route the cables through the handel bar cover cut out
2 dont forget to check throttel cables for opperation lock to lock as you reassemble
the bike & bodywork these two tip,s may save some time

p.s. throttel cables make all the diffrence on your hand & wrist
alse may save the life of your cruse control

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can do the throttle cables with the airbox in place. When I did mine I was scared to tackle the airbox. I got in there with my fingers and rotated the throttle plate around. I think I had to take off the fuel rail to do it though. Don't forget to route the cables back in the proper position; both top and bottom end. DAMHIK.

You'll really be happy with the new cables and it's worth every bit of effort to do the job too.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
ronnieds said:
What is a throttle reset?
Key on but don't start the bike. Move the throttle the full range open-close-open-close, so the computer can learn the limits of the throttle. Then key off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
An alternative to removing the air box is to remove the entire TB assembly. All the clamps are reusable and you can get to the back side really easy. (of course I already had the fuel rail off).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I found out you can do it without taking off the airbox! I did remove the air tube off the radiator. I haven't put it all back together yet but I can tell it is much smoother and easier. When I move the handle bars to turn left it is not as smooth as strait or to the right which I figure is because the cable tries to bunch up moving left. After I get the oil changed and put it all back together and ride it I'll let you know what I think then...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't put it all back together yet but I did get enough back to crank it. What a difference new throttle cables make! I can't beleive how much better it is. Well worth the $150 I spent. If it stays this way when I ride I may not stop...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
rattler50 said:
+1. :thumb: A major shortcut!

I have a bunch of those bad boys, some with curved tips. Also makes for wonderful temporary fuel hose clamps when changing filters on all my vehicles. It takes 4 of them for the Benz. :crazy:

They can be found at Horrible Freight dirt cheap - just don't try any open heart surgery with them. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts