BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil for the first time on the 2002 LT I bought last fall and found that 1 of the filter cover bolts was loose and stripped. It had not been leaking any oil and after I changed the oil was still not leaking with only 2 bolts holding the filter cover down.

Anyone had this problem before? I'm wondering if I can re-tap with a larger bolt and remedy the problem that way, any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
itspossible said:
I was changing the oil for the first time on the 2002 LT I bought last fall and found that 1 of the filter cover bolts was loose and stripped. It had not been leaking any oil and after I changed the oil was still not leaking with only 2 bolts holding the filter cover down.

Anyone had this problem before? I'm wondering if I can re-tap with a larger bolt and remedy the problem that way, any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Ron
Heli-Coil it. You can get a M6 Heli-coil kit at most auto parts stores. But be sure you do not drill all the way through before tapping for the insert. Drill only to the bottom of the existing hole. These are blind holes, and do not go all the way through the casing into the oil area. If you drill through, you will end up with a very small leak around the screw head, as this is not sealed and oil will slowly leak around the threads and out, causing drips on your garage floor. Cannot have that now, can we. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dave, never used one but I'll give it a try.

Ron

·
Registered
659 Posts
Heli-coil is good. Another alternative with no drilling that I'm a firm believer in is a product by Permatex...its a thread repair epoxy with about 120 ftlbs or more torquing capability. Mix it up, put it in the stripped hole, coat the bolt with the release compound and thread it in and let it set up. Remove the bolt and attach your component. The threads are practically as good as new. I've used it on my RoadKing and other places in the house.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
OU812 said:
Timeserts are used a lot in industry and aerospace, not so much for thread repair as to make much stronger threads in new non-ferrous parts. They are solid thread inserts, not helical diamond shaped wire like Heli-Coils.

Here is a Heli-Coil M6 kit: http://dealtime-direct.com/hel5546-6.html

Here is a Heli-Coil lookalike, cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220220113177&ih=012&category=104236&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts