BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn! Only had the bike a week (1999, 30,000 miles) and just noticed that full throttle in 5th will make the clutch slip. Not bad at the moment it won't affect my normal day to day riding unless it gets much worse, but I suppose I'm going to have to start thinking about tearing the bike apart this winter.
I really thought I'd got one I could just maintain and ride. despite it being 12 years old it's mileage is fairly low. Guess I was wrong.

Simon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't worry about clutch slippage with that milage,you just have to remember that your year bike up to 2004 is considered by most owners as slow.With that in mind beat on a slow engine and guess what you get when you engage the clutch.My 05 clutch was changed at 50,000 miles but i have a lot of hills and stop an go at lights,a big PIA.My 99rt had 130,000
with no clutch issues when i traded it for the 05.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Check your slave cylinder and replace if needed. If it's still good and you are using synthetic in the engine try changing back to a high quality regular such as Castrol. Your leak might stop. Hey, it's pretty cheap to try!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same year same miles same problem, i drilled a small hole in the bell housing and a small amount of oil came out and has been fine since, worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts