BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently, it's become a big enough issue that Apple felt they needed to put out an official statement. I imagine they're seeing a sharp rise in camera warranty claims.

Apple Support Document: Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

High-power or high-volume motorcycle engines generate intense high-amplitude vibrations, which are transmitted through the chassis and handlebars. It is not recommended to attach your iPhone to motorcycles with high-power or high-volume engines due to the amplitude of the vibration in certain frequency ranges that they generate. Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations, but if you do so a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone and its OIS and AF systems. It is also recommended to avoid regular use for prolonged periods to further lessen the risk of damage.
So it sounds like they don't recommend hard attachments to any motorcycle, but they do recommend using a vibration dampening mount on "low power" vehicles.

I haven't had any issues with my iPhone XR in a solidly-mounted RAM Quick-Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder on my K13GT or K12LT, but if I was doing it again or when I upgrade to a newer iPhone I'll probably move to a Quad Lock mount with a vibration dampener and waterproof wireless charging head.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
174 Posts
Apparently, it's become a big enough issue that Apple felt they needed to put out an official statement. I imagine they're seeing a sharp rise in camera warranty claims.

Apple Support Document: Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras

So it sounds like they don't recommend hard attachments to any motorcycle, but they do recommend using a vibration dampening mount on "low power" vehicles.

I haven't had any issues with my iPhone XR in a solidly-mounted RAM Quick-Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder on my K13GT or K12LT, but if I was doing it again or when I upgrade to a newer iPhone I'll probably move to a Quad Lock mount with a vibration dampener and waterproof wireless charging head.
I haven't had any issues with my iPhone X either, but this is sure a warning shot. I will likely get the Quad Lock mount also to replace the Ram mount that I have been using to date.

However, a significant question may be how does BMW respond (re: 2021 RTs) as they pretty much require your phone to be firmly in the cubby hole cradle now? (At least for inductive charging.)

Thanks for the link to the Apple article!

Larry

·
Premium Member
459 Posts

Interesting article... thanks for sharing.
My iPhone sits in the stingray charging where the radio used to reside on my k12LT... hopefully minimum vibration. I do have a Garmin GPS which mounts to the handlebars which seems to have no issues other than lousy directions compared to my iPhone. I use bluetooth connectivity to each while riding.
On my Harley, which handlebars shake like a Waring blender... poor poor pitiful me... (Warren Zevon), I plug the iPhone into USB port in one of the leather saddlebags to keep it charged, along with a camera. I also have a GPS mount on the H-D handlebars which vibrates horribly at traffic stops so you can't view the map, or directions, though voice commands come through loud and clear.
I am amazed the solid mount works fine for the GPS on the H-D, but thousands of miles later, no issue either way! Cheers!

·
Old Dawg
3,317 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since I’m not a fan of the quad lock case, but wanted to use their vibration dampener with my existing setup. Nothing a drill bit and part swapping can’t accomplish.
Arm Camera accessory Gesture Cameras & optics Microphone

Gesture Camera accessory Font Wrist Auto part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts