BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New member here, currently riding an R1200R LC. I have recently ridden a 2020 R1250RT and plan on ordering a new 2021 model. The model I tested had the full sized screen which seemed to work well for me (6' tall, 34" inside leg, standard seat in high position). I was, however, wondering about the OEM sport screen but have find no reports on it compared to the OEM standard screen. Most discussions seem to be about third party screens compared to the OEM standard screen.

Any opinions?

Thanks. Keith.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the 1250RT sport and found the sport screen to be absolutely useless. I got the dealer to swap to a normal screen, which is a lot better. But ultimately I put on my Werks quiet ride screen which I kept from my 1200 which is still brilliant. I might be wrong, but I thought I read that the 21 1250 had a new screen, if that is the case, nobody will know yet :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks casbar. That is useful to know. While they have re-designed the fairing and screen for 2021, I doubt the fundamentals will have changed much. I liked the "normal" screen except for the height (from the point of view of having to look through it when near vehicle in front, but not distant ones), but it did work well for me at around 2/3 max height. That isn't necessarily the same as having a screen 2/3 of the height set at maximum because the angle will be different. I might play safe and order the one I know works i.e. full size. Otherwise it will probably be around £300 to get the alternative.

Keith

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The Werks Quiet ride is simply head and shoulders better than the pathetic standard screen. If you think the BMW screen is good, you will be blown away with the correct Quiet Ride screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. At this stage I am really trying to decide which screen is best to order with the bike. I guess the safest option would be the standard screen rather than sport one, as the standard seemed fine on the one I tested (although they have supposedly changed it for 2021).

Keith.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have ordered a 2021 R1250RT sport with the standard screen, the standard screen will be tons better than the sport. They have changed the design, so we gotta see how it goes with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am coming to the conclusion I need to stick with the standard screen. I usually end up wanting taller screens, not shorter ones. I had a K1200RS and added the taller screen on that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both the sport and regular screens for my 2019. I use the regular screen in the winter (although still haven't changed yet this year). But I can't wait to switch back to the sport screen as soon as the weather allows in the spring. At 5'9", and seat in the low position, I very much prefer the shorter screen. That is why they make 2 sizes. you can't please everyone with one size fits all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 6' tall with the seat in the high position, I guess the sport screen might not work as well. I can see I will end up with both screens eventually!

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
9 Posts
My 2020 had (there's the operative word) the sport screen, had to ride with it fully up (5' 10", 32 inseam, seat in high position) and still lots of wind issues. Installed Werks 26" and not looking back, riding with about 1/3 up is great.
That at least is what worked for me!

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I have both the sport and regular screens for my 2019. I use the regular screen in the winter (although still haven't changed yet this year). But I can't wait to switch back to the sport screen as soon as the weather allows in the spring. At 5'9", and seat in the low position, I very much prefer the shorter screen. That is why they make 2 sizes. you can't please everyone with one size fits all.
I have never experienced the sport screen, but I intend on having the sport screen when I order my 2021 RT. I think that I will like the short screen for local riding in the summer, unless it gets noisy, and that may change my mind. I am keeping the Werks QuietRide screen that is presently on my '15 RT (putting back the almost unused stock screen to sell with the bike), and hopefully it will fit on the 2021 RT, for the long trips.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Werks Quiet ride is simply head and shoulders better than the pathetic standard screen. If you think the BMW screen is good, you will be blown away with the correct Quiet Ride screen.
[/QUOTE

Absolutely, you have to think about it, the stock OEM screen buffets and is too narrow on the sides. The Werks screens are such a major step above in all regards compared to the OEM screen, in fact my OEM windscreen just found its way to the material recyclers last week as it was taking up too much shelf space in the garage.
Buying another OEM windshield of any design is like buying another OEM seat, 😂 BMW fails at both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6'2" tall with a 32" inseam. I found the "sport" factory screen way too short to be useful, even in FL. That said, since upgrading from a Honda 200 in the 80's, I've never had a bike without a "full" height windscreen. There are lots of aftermarket options for the RT at very reasonable cost. I purchased a Vstream Z2350. It's a perfect height. At the bottom height I can get enough air, even when hot outside and can raise it on the interstates for more protection. Don't have "cold" here. Can't compare to the other OEM options, but I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
6'4" tall, 35" inseam, OEM screen perfect for me and I use it at all heights. In hot weather I get plenty of airflow to my shoulders and upper chest w/ the screen fully down, and for freeway or cold/wet nearly all the way up is fine, and everywhere in between. I would never own a bike w/o an electric screen after this I freq change height depending on where I am. I love being able to aim the screen to my helmet visor to blow off rain. In fact I found the OEM perfect enough to buy a replacement for when it becomes overly pitted for a great price from someone who immediately replaced his new RT's OEM screen. It's held up so well I may not end up ever using it though. I told myself I would keep my '16 RT custom ordered for at least 120K miles and would replace the screen at 60K miles...but I'm only at 46K now.

Reactions: keith1200r
1 - 15 of 15 Posts