BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I replaced front and rear shocks on my 2002 LTE with the OHLINS and, like everyone else, am totally impressed with the improvement in handling in the corners and improved stability. (And thanks to Kyle's for the great service)
Also, thanks to all the info available on this site in regards to installing the ohlins. It was a great help.
But here's my question: When I removed the original rear shock, I noticed that the top of the shock could move from side to side on the bolt it was secured with.
I have had my bike for a while, but am still a newbie in regards to wrenching and the tech stuff - but it seems to me that there should have a been a "spacer" or something on either side of the top of the shock to keep it from moving back and forth.
Right? :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
There is no spacer there. There is a self locking nut that may not have been fully tightened up, allowing the top to slide back and forth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I removed the nut you're referring to, it was tight.
The top of the shock fits into a mounting bracket on the frame (as I'm sure you know) ;) What I'm saying is that even with that self locking nut tightened properly, there was still plenty of play, I'll say atleast 1/2 inch total on either side of the shock inside the mounting bracket.
To the contrary, the new OHLIN shock I installed fits nice and snug in the bracket.

The OEM shocks were replaced once before at the dealer while under warranty.
So, I'm wondering if BMW uses a similar rear shock set up on a different bike that has a narrower mounting bracket and if that shock was mistakenly mounted on my LT?(if that makes sense.)
Maybe, I should just let it go...I have a great set of ohlins now. But I'm curious about it, and wonder if any of you could shed some light on this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts