1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
444 Posts
The duel horns off the '05 RT are very loud. You might want to ask you dealer if they are plug and play.

·
Registered
181 Posts
05hexhead said:
The duel horns off the '05 RT are very loud. You might want to ask you dealer if they are plug and play.
+1; I did this on my 08RT along with installing Hyperlites for enhancing the brake lights.

Both of these safety additions help in being heard and seen.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Tried Stebal Nautilus and Wolo Bad Boy on my V-Star - both very loud, but failed in wet conditions. Went back to OEM. On my RT, when I took delivery, I had BMW put a set of dual, or dual note, BMW horns on the beast. Very loud, and flawless operation.

Best, John

·
Registered
747 Posts
A single Stebel is fine, no need for that dual set, but they are quite heavy compared to a pair of 05 OEM horns. Price isn't all that different.

However, what exactly do you do with a horn other than pass inspections or let someone know you're pissed? By the time you use it and the other person maybe reacts, its all going to be over anyway. Doesn't substitute for situational awareness and conditioned reflexive responses. I wouldn't notice if mine disappeared....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
racer7 said:
However, what exactly do you do with a horn other than pass inspections or let someone know you're pissed?
Well said and probably true.
I think you may have just changed my mind and may be i will stick to the OEM horn.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dinku,
I'm no expert on your local conditions but I have driven a bit in the UK, mostly around London and down south but some in Scotland. Given your short daylight hours a lot of the year, the weather realities, and the nature of your motorway traffic I'd be putting my farkle cash in things that (meet local vehicle regs and) add to conspicuity. That includes lights, clothing and reflectors. And, of course, a Gerbings jacket for cooler weather comfort if you don't already have one- much better than a vest. The horn wouldn't be on my priority list unless I had some very unusual situation that required it. Of course, you can never have too many kinds of gloves for different conditions and even on your RT. a pair of Barkbuster S7s do wonders at keeping hands comfortable in the cold and wet (extend the lower temp range of gloves by about 10 degrees F, for example). To see rearward better, better mirrors.

Some of the conspicuity and visibility stuff I use
1) Old school white helmet with added reflector tape
2) Light colored riding jackets with reflector patches. Plus reflector patches on pants and BMW All Around boots.
3) BMW accessory tail light
4) Hyperlights (brake and tail light functions)
5) On side cases- 3M reflective tape plus red rear corner reflectors
6) On top case - 3M reflective tape
7) Photon Blasters on front
8) TrailTech HIDs on EzyMounts under oil cooler (note- I DO NOT recommend these lights and would suggest Denali LEDs instead)
9) Hella FF50 driving lights on BMR brackets under the mirrors.
10) K12RS mirrors (don't fit yours but there is an equivalent).

Many variants on the above are possible but you see the theme....They may not be looking to kill you but most aren't looking at all.

Even with all the above, conspicuity from the side in the dark could stand some improvement. Thinking about ways to convert front signal to running lights (LED strips or conversion to LT bulb sockets)

That's a sweet ride you've got - enjoy it. I like the switch ergos on your bike a lot more than those on my 08.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Up until the 2010 and newer bikes there were two connectors (one not used after BMW went back to a single buzzer horn on the new bikes). There were a couple of years there where the mount tabs and electrical connectors for two horns were still there. Your 2011 only has one electrical connector. I just installed a new horn on my 2010. I also got a stebel but not the air compressor type, too heavy and large. I have a loud but regular, much like a stock 06 or 07 horn. There is a tab you can mount to on the left side front under the plastic. Not used for anything. A larger horn will not fit easily on the central tab by the steering head. You also need to use outside power. Most of these aftermarket horns draw too much power for the computer to allow. If you use BMW part number 833 0040 2344, connector, it plugs into the connector that goes to the horn. You now have two wires to use to trigger a relay that can power your new horn with no problems from the bike system because you are using power from a fused circuit off your battery. (you have to wire all this stuff in.) I suggest you install one of the many small fuse panels available in the aftermarket. You will also want to power this new fuse panel from your battery via a relay. Some panels have built in relays, (aerostitch sells one cool unit) others offer a relay in addition to their panel. This relay also requires a trigger when the bike is turned on. I got that power from the GPS connector just behind the headlamp via PN 8330 041 3585 connector which fits this unused connector. Sounds like a lot of hassle eh? You can just use a posi tap and go from the little parking lamp in the bottom of the head lamp I suppose. Anyway, you need to set up a relay to feed your new horn and use battery power (fused) and not cut into your original horn wires thinking it will power a new larger horn. I really suggest you get a stock BMW horn of the large type to replace your buzzer and you don't need to fiddle with the connector crap. But there still might be a power issue and location problem with wire harness length.

·
Registered
545 Posts
OU812 said:
I had a Stebal Nautilus on my R1150R and mounted it in place of the stock unit. Got wet many times and never failed. Strange that yours did. :confused:

Yep, I was disappointed, and I had a couple of the Stebals fail before giving up on 'em. Not surprised however, in light of the review in WebBikeWorld that noted the problem....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

but that was my experience with them, anyhow.

I like the loud horns though - just part of the total safety package for self-preservation. Occasionally a quick friendly beep can help get the attention of an otherwise distracted motorist to let 'em know you're there.

Best, John

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
racer7 said:
However, what exactly do you do with a horn other than pass inspections or let someone know you're pissed?
You must live in the city. ;)

Those of us who are only in the city if we ride into town tend to use the horn to warn wildlife off the road, or when coming around a blind corner on a two-lane or if there is a blind intersection.

The horns that came on my '04 RTP are the BMW factory car horns.

·
Registered
444 Posts
racer7 said:
However, what exactly do you do with a horn other than pass inspections or let someone know you're pissed? By the time you use it and the other person maybe reacts, its all going to be over anyway. Doesn't substitute for situational awareness and conditioned reflexive responses. I wouldn't notice if mine disappeared....
I agree nothing substitutes for situational awareness. But I will admit I did get some satisfaction when I laid on the duel horns as some idiot was moving into my lane on a multi-lane highway.

I am sure he thought there was a transport truck 3 feet from his drivers door when I let loose. Not sure the look of horror on his face was from him thinking he had nearly wiped me out, or that a transport had nearly taken him out.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
99% of my horn use is to get my ridding buddy's attention when we are in town looking for a motel or some such similar situation. He is hard of hearing and the little buzzer horn does not even come close to getting him to look over. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
The horn is used to warn/advise other road users of your presence, I consider this high on the list of must haves on a motorcycle.

So many SMIDSYs where a driver has looked right through the motorcyclist not registering they are there.

I always cover the brakes and the horn if a vehicle is approaching or waiting at the jubction. More than once I have used the horn when I have seen the driver look in my direction and then look away again, a loud horn snaps there attention back to you. I've had people pull out in front of me, and yes I'm wearing Hi viz, white Shoei helmet and ride a RT1200.
Fit a loud horn and don't be afraid to use it!

I fitted the low note horn from a Dual horn set up I bought from Nippy Norms, mounted it where the 2nd horn should fit, wired straight into the spare connector. I keep meaning to fit the high note in place of the OE pancake horn, but not got round to it yet.
hth
\v/

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll chime in also with the "preemptive" horn use. Situational awareness also means you anticipate that a situation MAY occur unless you take a course of action to break the chain of events. Preemptively using the horn to draw someone's attention to you prior to them pulling out into your lane or merging into you certainly is proactive to prevent an event from occurring. It's also fun to scare the mess out of a dog which is heading across the road when you see'em coming.

Don't be afraid to use it, and if you use it, it's nice when it's LOUD! :rotf:

HP

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm sure if you almost always never use your horn, you'll be glad it's loud as hell for that one percent of the time when you do need it. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
5 years ago riding home from work at 11pm I had the idiot "I am turning right on red in front of you" happen. I hit the stock horn as I veered left and the Jeep in my left lane hit the brakes. I guess they heard it by miracle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
545 Posts
OU812 said:
5 years ago riding home from work at 11pm I had the idiot "I am turning right on red in front of you" happen. I hit the stock horn as I veered left and the Jeep in my left lane hit the brakes. I guess they heard it by miracle. :rolleyes:
I'm all for this. If I could take one off a locomotive and put it on the Chevy and the bikes, I would. Don't need 'em often, but once is enough.

Best, John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 32 Posts