BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my bike did not come with the 6 disk changer how hard is it to install one? Do I have to run wires from the radio to the cd changer? Or is the bike pre wired. I saw there was what looked like a good deal in the classifieds for a changer and wondered. My LT is a 2008 if that matters.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,559 Posts
oosel said:
If my bike did not come with the 6 disk changer how hard is it to install one? Do I have to run wires from the radio to the cd changer? Or is the bike pre wired. I saw there was what looked like a good deal in the classifieds for a changer and wondered. My LT is a 2008 if that matters.
Not so easy. Radio main harness is different $$$$$. Smaller cable is not so bad, but without the main harness, you have to build a special cable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does your '08 have the Voice II intercom installed? Many of the '08s did. If so....an iPod plugged in to the "AUX" input will give you a lot more tune capability than the CD changer. Just a thought.

On the other hand.....I may have the wire harness extension from the main sound system to the CD changer location at the rear right side case laying around. It was stripped out of my bike by the previous owner. I may even have the CD changer laying around...if I can remember where I stored it. What I don't have is the mount frame that lets you bolt the changer into the side case. You can have the harness and changer for a fair price, if you want, and if I can find them.

JD

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't even mess with it. Get a Dice unit or some other type method to use an Ipod/phone or MP3 player. My bike had the changer, it was always very susceptible to dust and dirt, etc, so I just took it out and use a Dice unit and listen to my Ipod. Plus you don't have to carry around CD's.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
John... is the new different from the old? If the connection is there up under the stingray wouldn't it be just the cable from the stingray to the side case? If so, I have two. If not, I'll STFU... :p as I have not had a tupperware party on my '05 yet...

As to the dice, if the cable is not there, then you can not connect it...

The install of the hardware is relatively simple..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,559 Posts
shoswell said:
John... is the new different from the old? If the connection is there up under the stingray wouldn't it be just the cable from the stingray to the side case? If so, I have two. If not, I'll STFU... :p as I have not had a tupperware party on my '05 yet...

As to the dice, if the cable is not there, then you can not connect it...

The install of the hardware is relatively simple..
The radio ships with two different harnesses. one for the 6 CD and one for no 6 CD. The cheap stuff is from the main radio harness back to the saddle bag. But if it was not equipped originally there is nothing to plug into on the left side under the sting ray.

Now having said that I did talk one guy in europe through making an adapter since he had already bought the cheap wiring to get it up to the sting ray. Just need to be handy with a soldering iron and have a dual inline 0.100 header connector (10 pin) to plug into the back of the radio inside the sting ray.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I do have the aux input for a mp3 player in the center counsel. So I will use that. Actually sounds like I would be better off. I have 3 or 4 mp3 players laying around anyway. And I can put a lot more songs on them.

Thanks for the help and advice.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
jrlakin said:
If I were you I wouldn't even mess with it. Get a Dice unit or some other type method to use an Ipod/phone or MP3 player. My bike had the changer, it was always very susceptible to dust and dirt, etc, so I just took it out and use a Dice unit and listen to my Ipod. Plus you don't have to carry around CD's.
I took my changer out and put it on a shelf. It just took up way too much room that could be used for luggage and it would also skip at times. I have put it back in a time or two just for the tunes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
478 Posts
i did the conversion last winter.my 02 did not have the cd connector. i found the harness
from one of the parts bikes from here on the site. about 80$ used.
i am shure someone has one kicking around. start a thread looking for stingray harness
someone will have it

·
Registered
118 Posts
Buy an MP3 player and use a cassette adaptor from Radio Shack to play mp3's through your stereo system. I never use my cd player. I put a piece of velco on the back of my iPod and then mount it on my radio cover.
It's easy to operate, the mute and volume buttons on your handlebars work and you can load days of music for way less than the cost of a cd player.
You will pay about $18 for the Radio Shack adaptor but it will work. The $7 adaptor at Walmart or Auto Zone will not work for some reason.
An Apple nano 3rd generation with 8gb of memory sells on eBay for about $60 or less and will also store your Microsoft Outlook contact list so you can have phone numbers, mail and email addresses to use or share on the road.
Even a Shuffle will store hours of music for less than $30 on eBay.

My nano and Radio Shack adaptor make every ride, My CD player is packed away in a box in the garage and never sees the light of day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts