BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - my Yuasa battery, with less than 2 years on it has died :( I'm finally going to step up and try a Odyssey PC680 battery - looking at Amazon and I have a few questions to be answered before I order. :confused:

I see a few different "sub-models" of the PC680 listed - particularly a PC680MJ. Which flavor do I need for my '05? In addition, I see listed a K1200LT bracket kit - do I need that or anything else to complete the installation/conversion? TIA -

Daniel

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The MJ is a Metal Jacket. Not needed. I just got my new battery from Amazon a couple weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ibbones said:
The MJ is a Metal Jacket. Not needed. I just got my new battery from Amazon a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for the quick response - that's what I thought....how about needing a special adapter kit to make it work? Not familiar with Odyssey batteries at all...

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
When I ordered my Odyssey P680 on Amazon the battery came with angle brackets and was able to use them. I had ordered the additonal brackets but the were not needed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ride2Ski said:
When I ordered my Odyssey P680 on Amazon the battery came with angle brackets and was able to use them. I had ordered the additonal brackets but the were not needed.
Or just flatten your cable eyes and delete brackets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
gosling1 said:
I see listed a K1200LT bracket kit - do I need that or anything else to complete the installation/conversion? TIA -

Daniel
My 2000 doesn't have brackets- just lay the terminals down to the battery and put the bolts in.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ride2Ski said:
+1. I also ordered the "bracket kit", and it was included with the battery, I have an extra somewhere in the garage now! :rolleyes:

The brackets do make life easier, but you can use the battery without them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a PC680 on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $114, free shipping, delivered in 2 days, L brackets included. It was a fresh battery, manufactured in June 2012.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The battery stuff.com looks interesting - might try that next time. I bought an Odyssey ML and had to make some mods to fit it because it's a bit big. Apparently the ML is better in vibration applications, but honestly I'm regretting spending the extra because I have my doubts it was worth it.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you want to keep your battery healthy then whenever not riding put on a battery "TENDER" not a trickle or regular charger, they will ruin a battery if left on. Make sure it is on all winter if you put the bike up for the season. I have them on all my batteries when not in use and been using them since they first came out and I have averaged 6 to 7 years for battery life. Just make sure it is the type of unit that senses when fully charged and shuts off then senses when it needs charging and turns on. I use Deltran battery tender junior's.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought my bike in June. the person i bought it from had installed a PC680 in April. well i have let it sit for a month or so, with no trickle and it died. it would not recharge.

come to find out Gel batteries need special treatment and although you can jump them, be careful not to let them discharge all the way.

when i tried using my conventional charger, the PC680 would not take the charge. even after 10 hours at 2 amps. the charger showed full charge but the battery was still dead, zero charge.

because i knew the guy i bought it from, and he had bought the 680 at Batteries Plus (expensive franchise but good when you need them), they honored the warranty under the other guy's name.

i also bought a Battery Tender Plus (1.25 amp max) instead of the Battery Tender Jr (.75 amps max). (was $10 more than web prices but that's okay this time.

accordign to their literature:
JR - exterior package does NOT mention GEL
PLUS - exterior package says GEL ok. interior description says LIQUID ACID ONLY
Batteries Plus guy says both will work on 680 okay
called charger mfg'r. they said both will work on 680------BUT IF YOU HAVE AN EXIDE battery as supplied by BMW, then ---- THEN you must use their SPECIAL GEL charger. otherwise (according to customer service) either charger will work for the odyssey 680 motorcycle battery.

interesting.

final notes. i checked the current draw after putting in the new battery and before i coneceted the neg wire, and it was pulling 6ma (actually 5.7something) so i don't think i have a short.

i suspect my drop to zero over a month may be the result of my leaving my GPS mounted. i'd bet a dollar to a donut that it drew the battery down. i won't leave it mounted again, that is for sure.

it's a pain putting 5 lugs on a short post. i ended up using a longer bolt and spacing the positive lugs with nuts as spacers. i just hope they don't vibrate loose!!

the MY CAMEL is ready to ride [email protected]!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
QSL on the 5.7ma static draw. At least that has been my observations.

·
Registered
513 Posts
there be several hams here, eh what?
:yeah:

we may not exist en masse as we used to, but we DO EXIST!

Let's hear it for BMW HAMS. the rest of ya can thank all of us for the communications 'stuff' you have available to you today! :wave

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
For those non Hams and left in the dark...

QSL is one of the Q codes used in radiocommunication and radio broadcasting. A Q code message can stand for a statement or a question (when the code is followed by a question mark). In this case, QSL? means "do you confirm receipt of my transmission?" while QSL means "I confirm receipt of your transmission". Some also take it to mean "Query Station Location".[citation needed] A QSL card is a written confirmation.

My Dad was K1QVM.. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
QSL, John. I hope he's not a silent key but i may have talked with him at one time. i've had my ticket since '71 after i left the Service.

De WB9GMO/4

oh----hey look. I HAVE BMW in my call! Neat-0 :dance:

·
Registered
130 Posts
As far as a good charger I bought the one from Wal-Mart, it's supposed to automatically detect battery type. It keeps my PC680 at 13.1 volts after charging. It's a good idea to leave it on the bike any time you aren't riding regularly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts