BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Odyssey 680 is almost 5 years old, have never had a problem with it, but am thinking I might need to replace as PM measure prior to the hot summer months. Any opinions?

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
My 680 would have probably lasted forever, but every time I started my bike, it would crank slow. On cold winter mornings, it was more slow. So finally, after about four years, I replaced it with the Westco which has a higher amperage rating.

·
Registered
659 Posts
mtrevelino said:
My 680 would have probably lasted forever, but every time I started my bike, it would crank slow. On cold winter mornings, it was more slow. So finally, after about four years, I replaced it with the Westco which has a higher amperage rating.
Was reading comments on the Panasonic battery. Better amperage rating and seems to hold up well. However, I like my 680; the lower amperage hasn't been an issue (yet!).

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think you can get a couple more years out of it without fear of being stranded if you ride the bike every week or keep a charger like the Battery Tender Plus plugged in at all times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 680 since 2002 with a battery tender and it still cranks up everytime. (i probably just jinxed myself!!!)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm not trying to get anyone to prematurely change out their battery and I have absolute no connections to any battery manufacturer. Just relating my personal experiences and observations.

I kept my original battery constantly on the charger and rode my LT on a daily basis. It lasted just over 3 years. I first noticed a problem with the battery when it started cranking more slowly and the radio would occasionally not come back on after starting. The only short term fix was to pull the negative lead off of the battery and reset the Motronic. I replaced it with a Panasonic battery for half the price of the OEM or Odyssey. I have had the Panasonic for just over a year and a half and recently returned from a trip where the LT sat for 4 days off the tender with the alarm on and it started right up with no problems. The higher temperatures in our area may have something to do with shorter lifetimes.

The Odyssey is certainly a fine battery, it just seems to be overpriced for what you get when compared to other batteries of similar construction (many of which have higher capacities).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts