BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the "jumper mod" on the LT (an '01) speedometer, per instructions in the HOW. Had the jumpers "professionally" soldered. Put it back together, and the speedo is SPOT ON. Only downside is the odometer is running backwards!

Took the bike apart again - all wires are correct...

Took the speedo out, and removed the jumpers...

Put it back together - and STILL running backwards! Any ideas?

Perhaps the kid fried something when he soldered JB & JC?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
No clue, but hope you figure it out before it reaches Zero and you have to start making payments $$$$ again.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dougholck said:
No clue, but hope you figure it out before it reaches Zero and you have to start making payments $$$$ again.
Thanks Buddy! How many miles are on your LT? I'll trade you odometers! :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Have others successfully made the mod without the odo running backward issue?

Loren

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
wa1200lt said:

Loren
I am not sure the mod applies to my 2007, but I figured it was less risky to install the Nav III instead and I use that to set an accurate speed! And in addition to being a good speedometer, it helps me navigate also! :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wa1200lt said:

Loren
Others have done this mod, yes. I use GPS for accurate speed, but had the bike torn apart for another project so decided to go ahead with it. I had an electroics whiz (at a local store) do the soldering, because the jumpers are small, and I haven't soldered on a circuit board since high school electroics class!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bet one of the many wires you have to take off the back of the panel is installed incorrectly when it was put back together.

I have a Clymer manual with color coded wiring diagrams, but I still took closeup,IN FOCUS, images of all the wiring on the back before taking it all apart. I emphasis the In Focus part as I see so many images on this and other sites used for illustration that are so badly out of focus as to be useless. So it was easier to reinstall the correct wiring back on the panel. The solder iron I used was a 25w. pencil unit with very thin solder. Works great.

Sorry you are having that problem.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tconnell said:
I bet one of the many wires you have to take off the back of the panel is installed incorrectly when it was put back together.

I have a Clymer manual with color coded wiring diagrams, but I still took closeup,IN FOCUS, images of all the wiring on the back before taking it all apart. I emphasis the In Focus part as I see so many images on this and other sites used for illustration that are so badly out of focus as to be useless. So it was easier to reinstall the correct wiring back on the panel. The solder iron I used was a 25w. pencil unit with very thin solder. Works great.

Sorry you are having that problem.
This thread is from 2 years ago. I did take photos of all wires before initial dis-assembly. Ended up getting a new odo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts