BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 LT was one of several vehicles burglarized in the company parking garage one day last week. The thieves knew to break in to the oddments box and took the Kenwood UBZ-LH14 within along with the BMW connector cable. The other luggage boxes were not forced. The cycle was locked and the alarm was set. It seems that the intrusion did not set off the alarm.

My question... Is this lock easily forced? There were no marks or sign of force. I did find a camera shutter release mechanism on the ground, presumably left behind by the thieves.

Now to replace that radio...

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Bummer. I never lock that box. I think it even has a bike key in it....

Guess I should clean it out:think:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thieves have been known to download a remotes code via a laptop and then open the vehicle without using any force.

Was your alarm disabled when you inserted the key ?.

From Google:

"As these transmitters operate on a pattern of pulse modulation, millions of different pulse codes can be used, making individual systems unique, meaning other people can't gain access to your car without having a matching transmitter using the same pulse codes.

Even these systems are not foolproof because some criminals have devices called code-grabbers – these are basically radio receivers, which are sensitive to the transmitters signal and are able to receive the code and record it. If the thief can intercept your transmitted disarm code, he/she can then program another transmitter to exactly mimic your unique pulse coded signal. The thief can then completely bypass the alarm system next time you leave your car unattended.

To overcome this problem the more sophisticated car alarms generate a new series of codes every time you arm the alarm. The receiver then encrypts this new code and sends it to your new transmitter, allowing you to disarm the alarm when you return to your car. It doesn't matter if this new code is intercepted as it is only used once and is therefore worthless to any thief ".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The alarm was still set when I returned to the vehicle. I noticed that the oddments box lid was ajar. The topcase and saddlebags were still locked--the items within were untouched. The items in there included tools, battery charger, half cover, beaded seat cover, cell phones, chargers, etc.

The locks and security system function normally.

I suspect there must be a trick to popping open the oddments box cover.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
RRRider said:
The alarm was still set when I returned to the vehicle. I noticed that the oddments box lid was ajar. The topcase and saddlebags were still locked--the items within were untouched. The items in there included tools, battery charger, half cover, beaded seat cover, cell phones, chargers, etc.

The locks and security system function normally.

I suspect there must be a trick to popping open the oddments box cover.

sure is!

take a round 3/4" dowell, or something similar (i used the butt end of a hammer). Give it one hard rap directly on the keyhole. pops right open, just about every time. no alarm will sound, cuz the lock never opens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts