BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

oddement box

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Bones1955 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok..since I bought the bike I have never locked it.
Sometimes when I shut it I have to push down pretty hard but it always opened ok.
Now it won't.
It acts just like it is locked.
I only have one key for the bike and it locks and opens everything else.
Is the ignition the one that opens this...my key will go in but will not turn it.
Bike is a 2k.

#2 ·
Bones1955 said:
Ok..since I bought the bike I have never locked it.
Sometimes when I shut it I have to push down pretty hard but it always opened ok.
Now it won't.
It acts just like it is locked.
I only have one key for the bike and it locks and opens everything else.
Is the ignition the one that opens this...my key will go in but will not turn it.
Bike is a 2k.

On my 2000 the one ignition key locks everything on the bike- oddments box, trunk, both bags.

Are you sure it isn't locked when you are trying to close it? Have you tried some powdered graphite in it?

#3 ·
biknut said:
On my 2000 the one ignition key locks everything on the bike- oddments box, trunk, both bags.

Are you sure it isn't locked when you are trying to close it? Have you tried some powdered graphite in it?
All I know is that I have never locked it.
It as always seemed hard to shut..took a extra push down most of the time.
But it always opened with a push of the button..now it won't.
All I had was 3-1 oil ..I put some of that in the lock and will try tomorrow.
But I was curious if that lock took a diff key..thanks!

#4 ·
If it is locked and you need to attempt to unlock it using the key, you must turn the key 45 degrees (1/8 turn), then press with the key still in the lock.

#8 ·
On my 99 when the key hole line is left to right its unlocked. When the line is vertical (front to back) its locked.

#9 ·
LTFan said:
On my 99 when the key hole line is left to right its unlocked. When the line is vertical (front to back) its locked.
Man what a strange deal..it was working without the key when it was front to back..then it didn't.

Long story short I was able to get the lock apart..took some doing.
I don't think it was the right lock.
I took all the slides out of the lock and ended up using just two of them and the lock works now.
I think I mostly lucked out because I had no clue what I was doing ..but I basically think I re- keyed it using only two of the slides.
But it works fine!
Thanks guys!
Cheers!

#10 ·
Bones1955 said:
Man what a strange deal..it was working without the key when it was front to back..then it didn't.

Long story short I was able to get the lock apart..took some doing.
I don't think it was the right lock.
I took all the slides out of the lock and ended up using just two of them and the lock works now.
I think I mostly lucked out because I had no clue what I was doing ..but I basically think I re- keyed it using only two of the slides.
But it works fine!
Thanks guys!
Cheers!
It's Miller Time! :toast:

#14 ·
wyorock said:
Bones,
I'm having the same problem, I can't open the oddement box with the key in any position. How did you manage to get the lock apart if it was locked closed?
Well I could not even turn the key.
This is what I did.
Take two smaller flat screwdrivers and work at prying the whole thing out.
The complete black part with the lock in the middle.
It will pivot forward as it comes out..a least mine did.
If that works for you let me know and we will go farther.

#17 · (Edited)
Re: oddment box (2005 and newer)

wyorock said:
Bones,
I'm having the same problem, I can't open the oddement box with the key in any position. How did you manage to get the lock apart if it was locked closed?
Before anyone with a 2005 and newer goes to all that trouble try this:
  1. Open your rider seat and with a 3mm allen wrench remove the small piece of tupperware that is just below the latch.
  2. There are two T25 Torx screws that are on either side of the lock that hold the rear of the "stingray". Back out the left screw and try your fob for the electric lock and see if it now works.
  3. If that works for you the problem is too long of a screw in that hole and the length you want is no longer than 1/2 inch or 12mm long.
This is a known problem for the '05 and newer LT's with electric locks. The 1999 thru 2004 don't apply to this process.
I hope this helps! sorry to read your post too late to be of help Wayne. Locks show up on Ebay all the time and they are not that hard to have re-keyed.

#18 ·
wyorock said:
Bones,I pryed the latch out this morning per your instructions I'm not having a problem with my key, I think I used the wrong screws when I recently reinstalled the left side tupperware. Now what's the trick to replacing the latch.
Just tap it back in the same way it came out...I think that's what you're asking when you say replace the latch?
Sorta strange how you can take it out and put it back in like that.

#20 ·
wyorock said:
Thanks Bones and Ernie, it's back together and works fine again.
I was having trouble getting the black latch piece back in so I put it in the freezer for awhile and it popped right in.
Thanks again
I didn't know you had the electric lock..glad nothing went wrong!
Don't you find it strange that it comes out that way..lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.