BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up my '03 with gas the other day. After filling it up with 5.2 gallons of the best premium fuel to be had in all of the land, turned the key on for diagnostics to run through, then started it. My trip computer and fuel gauge didn't move. Waited about 20 seconds, check the ground for a large puddle, nothing. Turned bike off, restarted, no change in guage or computer.

Restarted a third time and moved bike to another area of the station. Pulled and checked every fuse that I thought it may be. None were bad.

At this point, my friend came over and I explained the situation to him. We made preplexed faces, I made a few disparaging remarks and tried it again...success.

Any of you ever have this happen? :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine is an 06 but I had a few fill ups where the gauge would not go up until after 20 minutes had passed. I had used 1/4 tank before it became accurate. The trip computer was off the entire time also. Has not happened in a while again though.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I have that happen a couple of time on my 05. I suspect the float that send the signal to the gauge and computer gets stuck in the low position in the tank. The issue resolved itself while riding in that tank of gas and all was well until a few months later it happened again and went away on its own and never returned...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That happened on my 03 once when I ran the tank really low and the float stuck at the bottom. It broke loose and never did it again. I didn't run it that low after that. ( I was down to 10 miles remaining on the computer)

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
happens to me routinely when I turn the bike off, then while fueling, turn it to the "on" position to listen to the coms. Turn the bike off, leave it off, and it should not be a problem. It does take 20 miles or so to get it to read correctly...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
On the 03 both the BC and the fuel gage are fed by fuse F1 (4amp). Could have a little corrosion on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kellenbenz said:
That happened on my 03 once when I ran the tank really low and the float stuck at the bottom. It broke loose and never did it again. I didn't run it that low after that. ( I was down to 10 miles remaining on the computer)

Ron
That is what I think happened. My computer had gone to --- on the screen which I think means "you're on fumes my friend, find some place fast".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts