BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and to the RT, I'm planning on picking up a new 2019 that I was able to get a great deal on next Sat. They also gave me really good trade value on my 2016 Yamaha FJR. Looking forward to being back on a BMW, my previous bike was a 2011 R1200R that I loved but wanted something more touring focused with better rider protection.

My odd question is, what is the width of the bike with the panniers on? Would someone who has a model as close to a 2019 as possible (unless specs have not changed) measuring the width for me? Reason I'm asking is because I have a small section of my garage to store my bike and I think the RT is wider than my FJR with the panniers on. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Thanks for the measurement info, much appreciated. Just an FYI, the engine info for the 2019 in the bikez link is incorrect, it has the HP at 125 which was the previous engine without Shift Cam, its now 136 HP.
In the Bikez link above the header says 2019 R1200RT. After that all the info & pics are correct - for the 1200. I don’t know where they got the 2019 bit from though.
As it turns out there are very few cosmetic or dimension differences between the 2019 1250 and the previous (ie 2014 - 2018) 1200, except anything connected to the shiftcam technology. And there the difference when you ride it is very noticeable.

Ian

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If the width of the paniers is an issue for storage, you can remove or install them in 2 seconds.

Turning the key to the left will detach them and pushing the handle back in will lock them in place.

YMMV

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congratulations on your new scoot! You seem to be running about a year behind me. I traded in my '15 FJR for my '19 RT. If you're half as happy with your RT as I am with mine you'll be a happy guy indeed.

My measurements agree with the published data the other folks have given you. I get 39 inches across both at the front and across the panniers. You are asking a good question. I hadn't really thought about it but looking back at the FJR number (29.5 inches) the RT is indeed a good bit wider. Bad for parking and top speed but great for wind protection!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you're riding into a narrow space, remember, if the fairing fits (front end) then the saddle bags fit.
On the wethead the bags are slightly wider than the mirrors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the width of the paniers is an issue for storage, you can remove or install them in 2 seconds.

Turning the key to the left will detach them and pushing the handle back in will lock them in place.

YMMV
I was merely curious to see if the new bike would fit easily into my storage space. My current FJR has about a foot on each side of the bike, the RT will also fit but have only about 4" - 5" on either side. It will still fit with no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're riding into a narrow space, remember, if the fairing fits (front end) then the saddle bags fit.
I actually turn it around by hand and put it in backwards. My garage is 2.5 wide, the half space is where my bike is kept. Here is a pic to explain the setup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations on your new scoot! You seem to be running about a year behind me. I traded in my '15 FJR for my '19 RT. If you're half as happy with your RT as I am with mine you'll be a happy guy indeed.

My measurements agree with the published data the other folks have given you. I get 39 inches across both at the front and across the panniers. You are asking a good question. I hadn't really thought about it but looking back at the FJR number (29.5 inches) the RT is indeed a good bit wider. Bad for parking and top speed but great for wind protection!

Enjoy!
Good to meet another ex-FJR'er. I don't have my RT just yet, I'm picking it up this coming Saturday but really looking forward to it. The dealership advertised the 2019 RT for such a great price I couldn't pass up on it and they gave me good money for the FJR on trade. The only down side, the dealership is 184 miles from home so I'll have a nice ride home on the new RT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good to meet another ex-FJR'er. I don't have my RT just yet, I'm picking it up this coming Saturday but really looking forward to it. The dealership advertised the 2019 RT for such a great price I couldn't pass up on it and they gave me good money for the FJR on trade. The only down side, the dealership is 184 miles from home so I'll have a nice ride home on the new RT.
Don't take a highway home. Break her in right with lots of varying throttle and shifting. Enjoy the new bike. You will love it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Don't take a highway home. Break her in right with lots of varying throttle and shifting. Enjoy the new bike. You will love it!
Agree and will do my best, unfortunately I live in Round Rock TX and the bike is in Ft. Worth so about 80% of the distance home is country roads with nothing but ranches and open land with a speed limit of 70Mph. There will be little stop and go riding and minimal shifting for much of the 180 miles home. I'll alter speeds as best as I can and will not use cruise.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Conversation reminds me of my rides thru NW Texas, northern New Mexico and many of those long straight back country roads in and around the TX / OK border areas. Definitely some good riding memories from those days !

I worked and lived in the Dallas area from 1988 thru 2013, when I finally retired and moved to the mountains of Western NC.

Now I have endless mountain roads to explore....!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Conversation reminds me of my rides thru NW Texas, northern New Mexico and many of those long straight back country roads in and around the TX / OK border areas. Definitely some good riding memories from those days !

I worked and lived in the Dallas area from 1988 thru 2013, when I finally retired and moved to the mountains of Western NC.

Now I have endless mountain roads to explore....!
Variety is the spice of life. I love the country rides I do almost every weekend but when out on longer annual trips the twisty's and mountains are fun. I used to live in MA and liked the variety of riding within reasonable distances. Nice flat coastal riding along the ocean, short ride up to NH and we'd have the mountains. Now that you're retired, do you ride more?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The FJR and the RT shoot at the same (rather small) market niche. There are lots of folks here who come from the FJR world just as there are plenty of ex RT owners riding FJRs. IMHO they're both terrific bikes. My feeling is that you and I traded in one great bike to buy another great bike.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts