BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished going over my fuel receipts for Oct. Yea I know I'm behind a little. Anyway I just thought I would share this info.

Miles 3791
Fuel 79.494 gal. = 47.689 mpg
Cost $ 233.10 = 16.26 cents per mile & average of $ 2.93 per gallon.

That's if my math is right. :wave

Now I convinced my wife that if I went back to riding a bike to work it would save us money. :histerica she bought it hook line & sinker :D

So now I have a lot more math to do because with the car I would have only driven about 1500 miles, at 18 mpg plus the 87 octane discount from the 93 octane the LT wants. Then you have farkle, ATGATT, motels & food expenses. Oh what the heck it was still a good deal RIGHT?.

My wife told me the other night that I need to get my LT a wedding ring (she calls it my new second wife). What kind of ring would a LT like?. I'm thinking a new GPS has a nice ring to it. ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Of course - as you hinted in your paragraph about farkles - per/mile ownership cost is not only fuel.

Hate to tell you , you cannot have a vehicle - bike or car - for 16 cents a mile. There are other maintenance items, repairs, value depreciation.

Still, once you add the fun-per-mile correction, bike wins.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

OK Dave.............you are a freakin' genius ...................I'll give ya' a 10 on style........... :histerica ..............get away from the ethanol infected gasoline and you can pull it off...............................Thanx and Merry Christmas............... :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are really off on the cost per mile for the gasoline. Divide the total cost for gasoline, $233.10, by the 3791 miles and the result will be 6.148 cents per mile. You got the average miles per gallon correct so I don't know how you came up with 16.26 cents per mile. You must have punched a wrong number into your calculation. In order to cost 16.26 cents per mile, at that cost per gallon, a vehicle would only be getting 18.019 miles per gallon. There are a lot of cages which get that or less, especially around town, but I doubt if any motorcycle gets that low a mileage.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't kid yourself. Riding a bike like the LT is always going to be more expensive than a car in real life. Don't forget the $500 or so every 12,000 miles for tires, the fact that a lot of the work on a car can be done by a local mechanic and that lthe depreciation on a bike is huge compared to a car mile for mile.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only cost of riding this bike I ever plan to keep track of is fuel. That way I'll always have a big grin whenever I ride or think about it. :D

I just ordered my new GPS.

·
Registered
635 Posts
rdwalker said:
Of course - as you hinted in your paragraph about farkles - per/mile ownership cost is not only fuel.

Hate to tell you , you cannot have a vehicle - bike or car - for 16 cents a mile. There are other maintenance items, repairs, value depreciation.

Still, once you add the fun-per-mile correction, bike wins.

Quiet, keep that to yourself, the guy is on a mission to convince the missus.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
jireynolds67 said:
You are really off on the cost per mile for the gasoline. Divide the total cost for gasoline, $233.10, by the 3791 miles and the result will be 6.148 cents per mile. You got the average miles per gallon correct so I don't know how you came up with 16.26 cents per mile. You must have punched a wrong number into your calculation. In order to cost 16.26 cents per mile, at that cost per gallon, a vehicle would only be getting 18.019 miles per gallon. There are a lot of cages which get that or less, especially around town, but I doubt if any motorcycle gets that low a mileage.
Yes you're right he gets $.061 per mile or 16.26 miles to the dollar. ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Gizmo1137 said:
Quiet, keep that to yourself, the guy is on a mission to convince the missus.
Oooops. Sorry. What have I been thinking? ;)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
rdwalker said:
Oooops. Sorry. What have I been thinking? ;)
I know I know! You have been thinking you would like to live in the Pacific Northwet where our liquid sunshine lets you ride nearly year round!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts