BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a few things while I got rid of some PMS in balmy 28 degree Pennsatucky. I may be lugging my bike. Here is why I think that.

It is ever so happy 3400-4200 RPM, 45-60ish MPH, 3rd gear, in the back roads. Gas mileage ran steady 42 which is good for me so far, and the bike seemed really happy there, and did everything I asked it to do.

Also 4200-5400ish RPM, 60/80ish MPH, 4th gear, highway, it again was just really happy also. When should I use 5th gear. Honestly it seems I get better mileage running in the 4000-6000 RPM range.

Is this right?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
LAF said:
Noticed a few things while I got rid of some PMS in balmy 28 degree Pennsatucky. I may be lugging my bike. Here is why I think that.

It is ever so happy 3400-4200 RPM, 45-60ish MPH, 3rd gear, in the back roads. Gas mileage ran steady 42 which is good for me so far, and the bike seemed really happy there, and did everything I asked it to do.

Also 4200-5400ish RPM, 60/80ish MPH, 4th gear, highway, it again was just really happy also. When should I use 5th gear. Honestly it seems I get better mileage running in the 4000-6000 RPM range.

Is this right?
I do not hit fifth until I am on the highway at a steady speed and the cruise set. I will take it up to whatever speed in fourth and put it in fifth and hit resume.

·
Registered
938 Posts
People should not be able to post if they ride past December that should be a rule! :) It's too depressing for people with long lanes that are always frozen and the roads are salted and what not to ride. Maybe I should consider getting a sidecar for my 1100LT instead of a new truck. I wonder how good it would go in this crappy weather.

As for shifting, I shift to 5th at 70 on my 2000, except in the curves. That is on my speedo without the fix so it is probably somewhere around 63. I do slow down a bit for the police just to make sure. That's where the Valentine comes in handy. I'm not sure what the ratio is on your final drive but I think yours is slower.

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
You mean I should NOT tell you we had a nice RTE this weekend, and the 500 miles I did were really great? Or that I came back with a smile?

Hmmmm

OK, I don't tell then. *chuckles and leaves the room to get a beer*

·
Registered
609 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
People should not be able to post if they ride past December that should be a rule! :) It's too depressing for people with long lanes that are always frozen and the roads are salted and what not to ride. Maybe I should consider getting a sidecar for my 1100LT instead of a new truck. I wonder how good it would go in this crappy weather.

As for shifting, I shift to 5th at 70 on my 2000, except in the curves. That is on my speedo without the fix so it is probably somewhere around 63. I do slow down a bit for the police just to make sure. That's where the Valentine comes in handy. I'm not sure what the ratio is on your final drive but I think yours is slower.
What Neil said!!!!!
I was just waxing the thought of my younger days when our dead end street would be covered in ice (as it is NOW!!!)-I'd slap on my leathers ,fire up my Kaw F7 185-backwards, sideways-whatever- what fun!!!!
Then I laughed out loud of that image on an LT :histerica :histerica

Now-oddly-Uncle Rock comes to mind :D :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:

Sorry guys, no can do, it snowed and sleeted a little here yesterday, but it's gorgeous out right now and I'm off to the mountains. Ta-Ta:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
John-
You know we'd love to ride with ya..........as long as you continue ya'alls very gracious waiting for me to catch up-have fun in the mountains!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
938 Posts
andy said:
You mean I should NOT tell you we had a nice RTE this weekend, and the 500 miles I did were really great? Or that I came back with a smile?

Hmmmm

OK, I don't tell then. *chuckles and leaves the room to get a beer*
Yes, I know how nice it is in Texas. My brother rubs it in everytime he calls.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still got a bunch of riding to do yet.

Probably ride Tuesday to Friday this week. Looks like we are over to rain now after ice/sleet over night and this morning.

Wont chance tomorrow morning but Tuesday I am in. Supposed to be sunny and 30 something tomorrow. That will be enough to dry the Interstates and I am only a couple blocks off a ramp.

·
Registered
938 Posts
grifscoots said:
Stay out of the south forums to keep at bay the winter doldrums. Whatever you do, don't read about our New Year's Day run!!!
I'll be down there in June for his wedding. If I ride its going to have to be straight through. Plane tickets to San Angelo are around $400, then another hour or so to Sonora. I think I can cut a few hours off the 22 hours Mapquest says it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's ashame when 28 balmy degrees sounds like good riding weather! Got out yesterday here in PA! 29 degrees and warmed into the 30's! Nice to be riding even with all the cinders, etc. on the road. Nice cure for PMS. My 05 seems to like it, she likes the rpms up also. Don't use 5th until highway speeds.
All I want for Christmas are dry roads!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts