BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was that time again, time for an oil change. Decided to also do the transmission and final drive oil. I have done the final before, but not the transmission. With oil in hand and the manual open to the correct pages, I dove in. Over all it went pretty well and was pretty easy, even with the electric center stand trying to block things. And the bike seems to like it. Purrs like a kitten and shifts are nice and slick now.

Couple of things I noted though while doing this, thought I would pass them along to others.

1. Always read all the steps before you start do something you haven't done before. I was not aware the transmission drain plug was a 14 mm until I got to that point. Hmmmm. A check here on the forum told me what to do. Quick trip to the store and I was in business. Of course once home I did find I had a 14 mm socket set up, but it would not fit into the tiny space, so back to the forum solution. All is well

2. Funnels, buy funnels. Don't gerry-rig something. Time will be saved.

3. When you are done draining the oil and the pan is no longer under the bike, empty it. Don't just slide it off to the side where you think it is safe and it won't get kicked. Empty it.

4. Next time you are at the store and find yourself thinking, "hmm kitty litter, I should get some of that for my next oil change, just in case. Ah maybe next time." WRONG, get it then! Don't wait. You will never have enough paper towels, shop towels or anything else. Get it. :eek:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
One thing I'll add to your #4 is a trick Dick showed me. Get some puppy training pads & put down under the bike they will soak up most if not all of the "Loose oil" that misses the pan.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. We have some of those I was just going to throw away since our pup doesn't need then any more. Will have to keep those around and a bag of kitty litter.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I just spread out a day old newspaper before I begin and have a few old rags handy.

Before draining the transmission and the FD, loosen up the fill opening..... Heard a bad story once.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like the disposable paper funnels that came with the bike......................................
No Really !
I do.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"Always read all the steps before you start do something you haven't done before."

What the hell? Where's the sport in THAT?
For example: today I removed the decking off my trailer and treated it with Thompson waterseal. AFTER I finished, I read the directions. One part said "Do not over apply. A light application is adequate". Well that's BS! Must have been written in China. Any good red blooded American knows that if a little's good, a lot is better.
I also read that you can't apply it if the temperature will drop below 40 in the next 48 hours. Good thing I didn't read that first (as it'll be in the 20's tonight) because IF I had read that, it wouldn't be finished now.
See where I going with this? "Always read all the steps before..." What a load of crap :histerica

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm still trying to find a way to drain the transmission and engine oil without spilling a drop or getting it on my hands. I know wear latex gloves.

Seriously I am working on it. I tried cutting the side out of a large size Dawn plastic dish soap container and wedging it in under the transmission drain. Think I am getting close to the answer there.

Taking the oil filter cover off the bottom of the engine is another story. Oil is going to come out. Probably have to use the latex gloves.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I put a piece of celotex under my pan. The stuff people use to build houses out of, the 4'x8'x1/2" black fiber stuff. Anyway I had a piece of of under my drain pan under my bike, & I had drained the oil out. I took the pan out,but left the celotex there...But,..I didn't get the drain plug back in. My wife says it's time to eat, so I think ,I'll put a quart of oil in before I go to the house. I get back to finish the bike, & find out on the second quart, I didn't get the plug in. You would think I had a mess, but the celotex sucked it all up. I didn't get a drop on the flour.:bike:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I gave up spending cycles trying to figure out the transmission drizzle issue and finally came to terms with my solution. Pull the plug and let it drain all over the center stand etc. When it stops drizzling put the plug back in and give it a 30 second shot of brake cleaner. Easy peasy!

Loren

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
A serious note: I don't wear gloves like I should so I keep a tube of hand cleaner in the garage and Goop my hands up before the oil change being sure to get lots under the finger-nails. Now that makes cleanup a breeze. Maybe now I can try that on the floor and my clothes.......

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Brian... You made me smile with your analysis. I'll empty that oil pan first thing in the morning. :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ErnieA said:
Brian... You made me smile with your analysis. I'll empty that oil pan first thing in the morning. :D

No matter where it is, if it's full, your feet will find it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
av8trto said:
Taking the oil filter cover off the bottom of the engine is another story. Oil is going to come out. Probably have to use the latex gloves.

Thanks
When I did the oil this time I just loosened the bolts each a few turns and let the front one loose until oil started coming out good. Just let it drain that way while I went and did something else. Once the flow slowed down, then I removed the bolts all the way and took the door off. Much less of a mess than trying to get the door off with a full load on board still.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
av8trto said:
I'm still trying to find a way to drain the transmission and engine oil without spilling a drop or getting it on my hands. I know wear latex gloves.

Thanks
As far as the tranny oil goes I have had great sucess with the BMW recommended drain accessory. As long as it is out of fairly thick material (1/8 or better) it works fine. I forgot mine for the Tech Sessions at CCR this year so I made one out of a heavy catalog cover page and it failed miserably. The material must be thick.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made pretty much the same drain thing based on the diagram from the repair manual. Made mine out of one of those thin folding cutting place mat type things. Just need to be stiff enough to stay in place. Worked good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
14wntr said:
If you just empty the bike into a storm drain you wont have any mess to clean up! :histerica

Yep recycling...back to the earth from which it came.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've found that a roll of butcher paper is cheap roll out a sheet and park the bike over it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts