BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
No it uses a special BMW connection and diagnostic. Lift the seat, look just to the front left of the rear seat, there is a barrel connector there. That is the connection point for the diagnostic. After market tool called a GS-911, think I got that right, will do the diagnostic function.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It does not. While the systems are very similar from what I see, the BMW uses a round connector for the GS911 tool and the OBDII systems use a trapezoid connector.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

I was curious if the OBD2 device I have, can be hooked up to the LT.

Can I convert the barrel connector to a 16 pin and would this work?

Not sure what protocol it uses.

Maybe it does not support any of the OBD2 protocols?

·
Registered
729 Posts
OBD2 is an automotive standard, motorcycles need not apply, not yet anyway.
THe GS911 is the simple plug and play solution. If you are a DIYr it's a worthwhile investment. The LT will not eat a vin so find a tech day and kindly ask to use it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
ehaughn said:
Thanks for the info.

I was curious if the OBD2 device I have, can be hooked up to the LT.

Can I convert the barrel connector to a 16 pin and would this work?

Not sure what protocol it uses.

Maybe it does not support any of the OBD2 protocols?
I seriously doubt it could be made to work without extensive engineering. Not worth the effort to try.
BMWs system, the "Motronic" computer on the bike, and their proprietary diagnositic computer "MoDiTec" software which is licensed to BMW Service Departments, probably has little in common with the OBD protocols. I'm not knowledgable about this stuff, but unless you are a techno-geek with lots of time on your hands, and you want to DIY your code read outs your best bet it to purchase a GS-911 or check with some one on this board who has one.

Some time ago a thread was started on this site creating a registry of members of this forum who have a GS-911 and are willing to help.

Here it is: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24561&highlight=gs-911+registry

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You said trapezoid!

Loren

deanwoolsey said:
It does not. While the systems are very similar from what I see, the BMW uses a round connector for the GS911 tool and the OBDII systems use a trapezoid connector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts