Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Plug and play no reset is needed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
sodbuster said:
Putting on new O2 sensor. Is it just plug and play or do I have to reset anything?
Sodbuster;

I just did the O2 sensor change on my 2005 LT and YES, it is plug and play. The one I used is a Bosch 13475 and it was 69.00 from German auto ( shipping was free in the US).

The O2 sensor it self has the same BMW connection, only the end of the sensor was slightly dfferent ( picture attached). I have not taken it out to see if the millage is better, because I have other things to do on the bike before putting it back together.

You have to pull some tuperware off ( left side completely on mine because where the connector was) and the rear and front footrests but easily done.

I have other pictures of the way I did this, if you need to use them for a reference.

The connector location was different on mine from the pictures in the How section ( mine was the top plug and attached to the frame.)

The new one is on the left side of the picture!!

Regards,
Bowdon

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sodbuster--just curious...what year is your bike? Thanks...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bowden,
I am looking at the wrench in the picture,
were you able to slip that over the top, because an open end is almost asking for trouble.
I think this is a lightbulb went on moment

Thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
MountianMama said:
Bowden,
were you able to slip that over the top, because an open end is almost asking for trouble.

Thanks
MountainMama;

Here is the 22mm open ended wrench I used. It fit properly, not much play around the sensor.

Because the connector in attached, you can not get the closed end over to the sensor part.

My hands show that I worked on some sharp parts!!

Bowdon

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
MountianMama said:
Bowden,

Thanks
When I did mine last month I just cut the wires off the old one so I could get the box end over the sensor. After all it will be thrown away any way. :D Make sure to use anti seize on the new one too.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sodbuster: how did you know that the oxygen sensor was faulty?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
rdwalker said:
Thats my question also. When should I worry about mine?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
rdwalker said:
On mine & also many other folks here the fuel mileage drops. Mine went from an average of 44 mpg to about 31 mpg. With the new sensor I am back up to 42 mpg. This was checked on a 1300 mile trip to Big Bend 3 weeks ago. I was pilling a trailer & riding the snot out of the bike. We hit a 60 mph head wind the last 100 or so miles & could only get 95 mph outa the ole girl :D The mileage should go up with "NORMAL" riding ;)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
My O2 sensor went out on the way to CCR last August. 42 mpg down to 26 mpg and as low as 22 mpg with a strong unburned gas smell when stopped at lights. 2000 miles at an average of 24 mpg, I thought I was on a Harley.

Changed it out and right back to 42-44 mpg.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
519 Posts
katnapinn said:
When I did mine last month I just cut the wires off the old one so I could get the box end over the sensor. After all it will be thrown away any way. :D Make sure to use anti seize on the new one too.
katnapinn;

Taking the sensor off, I did the same thing, but because it was a plug and play on the new one, I had to use the open end for installing. Was not that bad, if you have a properly sized wrench!! No slippage.

The new sensors have never seize on them already, but I added a little more.

I will be taking the bike for a ride Friday to see if the mpg goes up from the 35 mpg I had last week!! Last year going to and coming back from CCR it was around 47mpg two up pulling a trailer average speed was 75 mph.

Bowdon

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My LT is a 2003. The reason for wanting to change it is my fuel millage has dropped a little. I have also been using a octane booster called Rocket Fuel and just found out it should not be used with O2 sensors. Wonder if if it fouled up the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks--I was wondering if the your part number would be good on my 99 LT...I wanted to know just for future reference.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts