BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My searches haven't turned up anything as of yet. Can anyone point me to video to replace my O2 sensor?

Thanks. Greg :bmw: :bmw: :cool: :bmw:

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I just did my K1200lt, year 2000. My story, soaked threads with penetrating oil for 2 days and make sure oil goes on up high on threads and down on to sensor threads. Would not turn, than used heat would not turn. More oil for another day. Than a pipe on the wrench and finally it turned out hard and with some of the sensor threads stayed in. Had to use spark plug chaser than a small pick and a mirrow to take out metal on threads. I did get the new one put in and bike does not have the slight missing when first starting. Also I took off the side shift plate and all linage to get at it easy.

Jim
ND

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instructions would help assuming this isn't too complicated to accomplish.

Thanks Greg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pretty easy, after you get the sensor off. Just get it off and take it down to a auto parts store-. Most any Bosch sensor will work just fine. Some have 3 wires, some 4. IIRC, my last beemer had 4. Grey>Grey, Black>black, and white>white. (If there are 2 white wires it does't matter which white to white. Sensor at stealer is around $200, same sensor at auto parts store is less than half.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
MarinPhil said:
Pretty easy, after you get the sensor off. Just get it off and take it down to a auto parts store-. Most any Bosch sensor will work just fine. Some have 3 wires, some 4. IIRC, my last beemer had 4. Grey>Grey, Black>black, and white>white. (If there are 2 white wires it does't matter which white to white. Sensor at stealer is around $200, same sensor at auto parts store is less than half.
Bosch # for O2 sensor is 13475. Last time I bought one, Amazon shipped it free at $84 and change. Not sure I'd do the swap without a manual or clear instruction from one who has been there.
Edit: Found this thread should help. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
A little anti seize on the new one before it goes in will head off this problem next time you change it.

There's a European product with the trade name "Ultra therm" that is about the best for this application. Use a lot of that stuff at work. Comes in a 12 oz spray can or quarts. A very thin liquid, apply the liquid with a small paint brush. Not sure what a spray (rattle can) goes for but a quart is almost $700.00.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you can buy a small tube of graphite in your area you can mix it with ordinary grease and make your own extremely good anti seize - grease burns away leaving graphite - great for anything hot, spark plugs, manifold bolts/nuts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts