BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title said it all. I removed my O2 sensor today & it was VERY hard to get out.
After removing the exhaust from the bike I heated the sensor then used a small pipe wrench with a cheater bar. The sensor came out with NO threads left on it. Does anyone know what size the threads are so I can get a tap to clean up the threads in the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I don't know what size it is, but I have a metric tap & die set that likely has the right size tap. :wave I'll look to see if I can find a exploded drawing that states the size (dia. & thread pitch). If you have the new "Lambda monitor probe," we can use the set to determine the correct size. John Zeiler may be lurking & seems to come up with information from the secret vaults.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not had the O2 sensor out of the LT, but most O2 sensors use 18mm spark plug threads. so a spark plug thread chaser should work. Or if the threads are pulled out of the pipe there are helicoil thread inserts available

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
djacobs said:
I have not had the O2 sensor out of the LT, but most O2 sensors use 18mm spark plug threads. so a spark plug thread chaser should work. Or if the threads are pulled out of the pipe there are helicoil thread inserts available
Yep it is 18MMX1.5 so I got a spark plug thread chaser but the threads in the exhaust just pulled out... so I will be replacing the exhaust. :(

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deanwoolsey said:
I bet you can helicoil it.
I have used Helicoils in the past & they work great but..... Dick has 2 early LT exhausts & he will meet me in Blanco on Sunday morning so I can get one of them. :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Just a note regarding heli-coils. There is a new (to me) product that I've read a lot of good things about. It's called a Time-sert. Lots of good videos on YouTube on Time-serts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Steve

I have had the bung replaced at the local muffler shop for about $5 on autos , with the LT exhaust just watch the alignment as there is not too much room for error .

Bob G

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hate to say it, but I stripped out my O2 sensor bung today too. I should have used heat on it before I started putting the torque on it to loosen the sensor. I used PB Blaster but that wasn't enough.

Glad this thread was on the forum. I will probably take my exhaust to a muffler shop and have them put in a new bung.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts