BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

'nuther clutch question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kranturm 
#1 ·
I replaced my clutch, both pressure plates, seals, slave etc about 30,000 miles ago. Earlier this year I "though" I noticed it slipping just slightly, and with no discernible pattern. I started paying closer attention, and finally caught it slipping twice - does it about once every 1,000 miles or so.
It's always in 3rd gear when I drop down to pass. The tach will jump about 500 RPM, then catch right back up. It doesn't slip in 1st or 2nd, nor does it slip in 4th or 5th when I poor the coals to it under load.
It just seems odd to me that it would slip in 3rd, but not where you'd typically find the slipping in high gears.
I would also have thought that had I installed it improperly, problems would have shown up a bit sooner. I do ride it hard, don't abuse it, but don't baby it either. In 45+ years of riding, I've never lost a clutch, so I'm hoping it's not just the way I ride.
Any thoughts?
If I do have to replace it again, I'll definitely be on LAfire's list for the aftermarket clutch.

#2 ·
Just make sure you have the clutch all the way out (fully engaged) when you hammer it in third. Mine would only slip once in 5th with a roll on of throttle starting at 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. When I pulled it it was still in the servicable range but just barely. There was a small amount of oil contamination and the o-ring was hard and brittle when I removed it. Replaced it with a Viton o-ring.

I am still convinced I slipped the clutch too much when pulling the HF trailer cross crountry a few years ago. The last trips with the Bushtec covered over 12,000 miles and I always made sure the rpms were below 1,500 as I engaged the clutch fully - then and only then I hammered the throttle. Clutch is still fine.

#3 ·
Thanks John. I'm certain that I have the clutch fully engaged (lever released) when I start laying into the throttle. But I'll try and pay more attention to what I'm doing. I never feather the clutch when starting out either, nor do I tow a trailer.

#4 ·
You also may just have a very slow leak (pick your choice of fluid) that contaminates the clutch slightly and you "burn" it off with these third gear passes.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.