BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question:

2001 K1200LT

How many seals are there in the transmission that can be changed from the EXTERIOR (i.e. - w/o disassembling the transmission)? The transmission will be removed from the bike and on the bench.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Just a quick question:

2001 K1200LT

How many seals are there in the transmission that can be changed from the EXTERIOR (i.e. - w/o disassembling the transmission)? The transmission will be removed from the bike and on the bench.
Three main seals, one each on the front and rear of the input shaft, another for the main output. There are also a couple small ones that rarely need replacing, on the shift lever, and reverse switch lever. Not sure about the rear end of the starter motor where it goes into the tranny for reverse.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David...

Thanks a bunch. I am just about to pull the gearbox out, but wanted to have seals in hand so I could pull it out, replace all clutch parts, Main Engine seal, all transmission seals and then re-install in one day so it is fresh in my mind. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
dshealey said:
. Not sure about the rear end of the starter motor where it goes into the tranny for reverse.
The starter has 2 orings small diameter front large diameter rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts