BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
:p Hate like the dickens to keep honing in on the Hard Eight joint in Stephenville, butt since this month has the Thanksgiving feast in it, thought attendance might be kinda low for an RTE --- so here's the deal:

Either the 19th (Saturday) or the 20th, Coleman and I are gonna meet at the Hard Eight (intersection on 281 @ 67) around 11:30 and kick tires in the parking lot 'til a crowd shows. Eat and then more tire kickin' while the food settles. Then - a short run down 281 to Hico and have dessert at the Koffee Kup (yummmy pies). Then those from the DFW area can take the 220 outta Hico back up to 67 and thru Glen Rose on the way home.

My preference is Sunday, butt if there are enough folks that wanna do Saturday, it's doable also. Figgering a small turnout, I won't keep a list - just reply to this post over the next coupla weeks and I'll do a wrap up on the 18th.

(unstuck by Munson)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Nov RTE

Either day will work for me, preference is Sunday.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Dick said:
My preference is Sunday, butt if there are enough folks that wanna do Saturday, it's doable also. Figgering a small turnout, I won't keep a list - just reply to this post over the next coupla weeks and I'll do a wrap up on the 18th.
We would be in for Saturday. A local club is having their 37th Annual Turkey Run on Sunday. I'll post more in another thread in case any DFW locals would like to come along.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have a tentative kitchen pass for this (assuming Saturday) - I only had to agree to have my head examined when I get back home.

Mr. Garmin says it is a mere 419 miles (6.5 hrs)...

I sure would like to see everyone and have some good BBQ (Lord knows I can't find any around here), but that is a bit of haul for one day - yes, I know, I'm a wus...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
gulfxray said:
I have a tentative kitchen pass for this (assuming Saturday) - I only had to agree to have my head examined when I get back home.

Mr. Garmin says it is a mere 419 miles (6.5 hrs)...

I sure would like to see everyone and have some good BBQ (Lord knows I can't find any around here), but that is a bit of haul for one day - yes, I know, I'm a wus...
Come on Shawn! That's not far. You can do it! You know you want to. :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You better believe I do!

Any reason to ride AND go back to TEXAS!

Plotting fuel stops now....;)

Praying for clear and cool weather and no construction on I35 - what are the chances? :)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Shawn - sure wish you would help us make sure the Hard 8 has no left-overs after lunch!!! However, a 13 hour roundtrip (not counting stops enroute) means you're gonna hit darkness one or both legs. Daylight is becoming less and less this time of year, and I don't know 'bout up in OK, butt Bambi activity is up a notch around these parts.

If you decide it's doable, please ride safe. Do the Pike Pass thang if you can, and get gas in OK - it's cheaper there than in TX (least it wuz coupla weeks ago when I made the KS run).

Let us know. And btw - maybe we could schedule an RTE a leetle further north up around Mineral Wells, or Jacksboro, or ????? sometime in the future. I don't know any eateries up that way, so maybe somebody will have some future suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Only day that works for the Debster and me is Sunday. I'll have the advantage of going to one of Deb's work functions on Saturday.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shawn sez:

Praying for clear and cool weather and no construction on I35 - what are the chances?

Well, the clear and cool wx has a pretty good chance of being doable. Butt, "no construction on I-35" is a pipe dream!!!

If you hop on I-44W in Tulsa (you can do the limit @75mph or tuck in behind a faster rabbit), you can grab gas in OKC (avoid gassing up in Lawton, unless you git off and go east a ways on Gore avenue) and boogie right on thru Wichita Falls/Mineral Wells and then the Hard 8 will be on your right at the stop sign at 281/67 in Stephenville. Be about $8.50 tolls. You might have used part of that route when you came down to the tech session and stayed in F'burg? Only this time, just stay on 281 and don't run 16.

BTW - as another reference; using that route, I ran the 675 miles from Mom's garage in Baxter Springs, to mine, in 10 hours and 10 minutes (didn't have time to ring you up for a cup, darn it) and it takes me right at 3 hours from Stephenville on in to Boerne.

From the running tally I'm keeping, it looks like Saturday is gonna win out over Sunday, if that makes a difference.

Hope it works, Shawn. Sunrise/sunset will be in your favor if you decide to one-day it. If you overnight Friday, the Best Western in Stephenville has a rack rate of $59, with a pretty good breakfast next door. Or, in Lawton, at Gore & 281, is a refurbished big chain motel (used to be a Howard Johnson, I think, butt is now a Best Western or Holiday Inn - can't remember, I blinked!!!), with a good in-house restaurant.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hmmmm... I hadn't thought about the Wichita Falls approach...

You had me take that route on the way down in April - 281 to 16 on south -- very nice roads....

I got the Pike Pass after I lost money on the way down in April - when I would open the oddiments, I'ld lose a dollar or two to the wind!:mad:

See you in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dick,

If your still taking votes Saturday work better for me.

Bill B.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, Bill --- sounds great. A leetle early, butt sure looks like Saturday is gonna be "Q" day. Cya in the parking lot!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nov RTE edit.

Well, for starters, I gotta say to Edgar and Deb that I'm sorry 'bout doing the "Q" on Saturday, butt that's the most popular day by 80%.

Sooo - for planning purposes folks, the RTE will be on Saturday, the 19th of Nov, at the Hard 8 BBQ brothel at the intersection of TX 281/67. Arrival time is whenever you git there, butt the plan for filling the plates is 11:30. I'm hoping to git there earlier and do some tire kickin' in the parking lot and watch the Hog Pen fill up!!

And, if your ride distance allows, after cleaning your plates at the Hard 8, some of us are gonna run down 281S for about 15/20 minutes and grab a slice of pie for dessert, at the Hico Koffee Kup. A quick run up 220 from Hico will put ya back on 67 at Chalk Mountain, if you're heading to the metroplex.

Anyway, just thought I'd line out Saturday so y'all can do a work-around if necessary. Names mentioned so far are:

Bruce Coleman - Garland, TX
Judy Coleman - Garland, TX
Rev. Munson - Grapevine, TX
SweetPea Munson - Grapevine, TX
Shawn Papinchock - Bartlesville, OK
Bill Barlow - McKinney, TX
Dick Largen - Boerne, TX
Coleman's friends - Garland, TX
Edgar Tanner - San Antonio

Had to remove Dave Moore, Andy and Lanette.

And BTW - feel free to grab a friend and bring 'em along. That Hard 8 has plenty of parking and feeding room. Cy'all there - ride safe.

Coleman mentioned that his neighbor couple are intending to join us (I failed to git their name), so it'll just be *Coleman's friends*.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Dang!

Would love to be there but that's first day back from a week (business) in AZ and the LT is broke anyway (infamous rear drive problem at 9500 miles!) Gonna be workin' on the FJR that weekend after hitting a curb in Grapevine last Monday, bending a wheel, a clutch cover and my elbow..... (very long and not very pretty story.) If'n I dont' stop breakin' these things, I'm gonna get a Miata! Yeah, right!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Looks like as if Lanette & I might be able to do it.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dang, Russ - I sure hope what you got goin' with your scoots ain't contagious!! Good luck on the fixes - holler if you need anythang.

BTW - you're welcome to ride with me, in the Goat. I'm gonna try the r & r of the brake light relay; the install of the Roady2 and a Blue Sea fuse block, starting this week-end. If I don't gitterdone by Friday, then I'll drive the Goat. Cheryl's honey-doo-doo list will prolly assure that I won't finish by then, butt hey - the Goat'll git us there, with plenty of room for doggie bag leftovers!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, Andy - I sent you a PM with the Hard Eight's webpage and the directions to their BBQ pit. And for anyone else going, and needing directions:

Here 'tis, git hongry!

For reference, it's about 3 hours up 281 from San Antonio - close to that from Austin; but maybe only 2 hours from the DFW area, down 67. It's at the intersection of 281 and 67.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
yeah, got the message, and as it looks we will be there, looking forward to see att your faces (again). Since it was decided to hold that on a Saturday we then decided to continue on to Fredicksburg for a good beer and then home to H-town on Sunday. Anybody interested in joinging us is more than welcome.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, Andy - check with Edgar. He and Deb stayed in a cool 'bed and brew' there not too long ago. Said they loved it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts