BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to purchasing a 02 LT however I am concerned with the rear end issues on these bikes. I am also not a avid tourer but like comfort when I do ride. I am wondering if the LT would suit me. I dont like any other bikes by BMW other than the LT. Now if a GW is a 1500 and the LT is a 1200 what makes the LT better? As stated in my other post, I think the LT is just a darn nice looking machine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't let the small percent of rear end failures deter you from enjoying a fine machine. Take a ride on both the LT and the GW. IMHO the LT is easier to ride in-town and in-traffic and definitely gets better gas mileage. A little top heavy at crawling speed, but easy to get use to. I've ridden with Wingers and the LT will hold it's own and sometimes set the standard.

·
Registered
628 Posts
First of all the gw is an 1800, bigger the the honda civic motor and boy does it feel like it. Yes, the lt does have a higher center of gravity, but if you think about it, that is purely to your advantage. If I glued your feet to the ground and put a medicine ball between your feet, your knees and your hands you would have much more control over movement of the weight as it's position corresponded with your own center of gravity. Another way to put it is that if you have to make and evasive maneuver around another motorist or an aggressive one around a curve, you will have much more control over the bike with the bike that has it's mass closest to yours. The gw is lighter standing still but not on the move. I can't keep up with grandpa on his lt when I'm on grandpa's gw either no matter how I try, other than straight line low end torque the lt triumphs in all aspects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't think a lot, do your purchase, don't be confused, Jap Bikes are just bikes, K1200LT is a philosophy!

Lamps
Giulio
K 1200 LT / 03 Owner
Member of the italian " K1200LT Owners Group"
http://www.kog.it

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
settlep said:
I am close to purchasing a 02 LT however I am concerned with the rear end issues on these bikes. I am also not a avid tourer but like comfort when I do ride. I am wondering if the LT would suit me. I dont like any other bikes by BMW other than the LT. Now if a GW is a 1500 and the LT is a 1200 what makes the LT better? As stated in my other post, I think the LT is just a darn nice looking machine.

I have 90 thousand miles on my second final drive, my first one went to 50k miles

I change the lube in it with plain old GL-5 gear lube with every oil change at 6k miles apart

if the '02 is too low miles buy one wiht more miles, it has not sit around letting all condensation build up inside the slave cyl master cyls calipers, lube has been over the gears instead of sitting in the bottom of the tranny oletting the gears rust ect ect

IOW if hte bike has been sitting years RUN from it!

Tom

·
Registered
375 Posts
High COG = Good?

atrovarious said:
First of all the gw is an 1800, bigger the the honda civic motor and boy does it feel like it. Yes, the lt does have a higher center of gravity, but if you think about it, that is purely to your advantage. If I glued your feet to the ground and put a medicine ball between your feet, your knees and your hands you would have much more control over movement of the weight as it's position corresponded with your own center of gravity. Another way to put it is that if you have to make and evasive maneuver around another motorist or an aggressive one around a curve, you will have much more control over the bike with the bike that has it's mass closest to yours. The gw is lighter standing still but not on the move. I can't keep up with grandpa on his lt when I'm on grandpa's gw either no matter how I try, other than straight line low end torque the lt triumphs in all aspects.

Well now I really have heard everything.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
If you go with the LT and it's out of warranty, you better budget ~$2000/yr for maintainence issues.
If you're not really into long distance riding, go with something simpler and easier to work on, that doesn't have major items short circuit randomly, or simple seal repairs that require the entire motorcycle to be torn down to the frame to fix. Also, keep in mind how few and far between our dealers are BEFORE you have to deal with 4 hour round trips just to get service work done. You might want to check into whether or not your chosen dealer has a pickup service for you.

HTH

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man!

Holy cow Kevin!

Not making a newbie like me feel real confident in my recent purchase...
Should i be thinking of selling this money pit off and running!?! :eek:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
ez_rdr55 said:
Well now I really have heard everything.
He's absolutely right. A bike at speed turns by leaning. Move the center of gravity low enough, and the bike resists leaning, hence resists turning. Raise the center of gravity and the bike turns easier. On the other hand, slow speed parking lot maneuvers don't require leaning and so are easier on a bike that tries to keep itself upright.

Regards,
-joel

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hey, don't be mad at ME, I'M the one who should be pissed! I'm speaking from experience as the LT has repeatedly let me down. :(
(It's in the shop right now getting another warranty item replaced)

·
Registered
628 Posts
kdog said:
He's absolutely right. A bike at speed turns by leaning. Move the center of gravity low enough, and the bike resists leaning, hence resists turning. Raise the center of gravity and the bike turns easier. On the other hand, slow speed parking lot maneuvers don't require leaning and so are easier on a bike that tries to keep itself upright.

Regards,
-joel
Thanks Joe,
I think people like the fact that it's nearly impossible to tip a gw at speed something I see as a disadvantage not an advantage. The laws of physics prevail again :dance:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I bought my '01 last year with 9,000 miles on it, and went with an extended warranty through 2011. That being said, I now have some peace of mind... I have lamost 10,000 more miles on her, completely trouble free.

LT costs more to maintain. If you can name me ANY German performance vehicle that costs less than a Japanese model to maintain, please name that vehicle.

If you're going to ride the super slab, Wing is the way to go, no question. If you're going to ride fun (twisty) roads, the LT hands down wins this one.

The key is to get a warranty, if you don't want to worry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Warranty eh?

Is this a factory extended warranty Brian?
May I ask how much that cost?
When can you/do you have to get this extended warranty?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
nobunaga said:
Is this a factory extended warranty Brian?
May I ask how much that cost?
When can you/do you have to get this extended warranty?
I can't recall who the company is (it's a national company). I bought mine at a BMW Dealer, and they offered it for about $500.00, I believe. I am on a non-riding trip now, so I don't have the name. If you bought yours private-party, you may not be able to get one. If you bought one at a dealer, they probably would have offered.

Got my '01 last year when I went in to look at new LT's, and went "holy cow" at the price (about $26k in CA, out the door). Did some research and found out that resale drops faster than some politicians' approval rating! They had mine there with 9,000 on the odo, and $10,000.00, so I bit.

I know that BMW's (cars AND motorcycles) cost a bit more than a few pennies when something goes wrong, so I went with the warranty.

I haven't had any problems at all, and LOVE the bike. My wife can stay on it all day, with no complaints. The picture below is after 600 miles (another 100 to go)!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
kdog said:

Regards,
-joel
+1 on what Joel said!

·
Registered
375 Posts
High COG in the real world

And what happens when you're all leaned over in a corner with a high COG and you hit a bump, oil, sand or something? Why does Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki spend millions of dollars engineering their race bikes to lower the COG?
Handling is improved as the COG is lower.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was talking to a mechanic from the BMW place and he pointed out that the gas tank is lower around the frame to lower the COG of the LT. There is a fine line of too low or too high and depend of the type of riding that you want and there benefits in both. A happy medium is the best and that is the goal of performance group. Comfort in stretches GW, Twistees LT, why COG, is what is your pressure. Now a car is different, :cool: you do not lean in corners with a car and if you do, check your shocks :histerica All good points drive what you love and I am happy with my 07 and have no problems with almost 7000 miles :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
KMC1 said:
If you go with the LT and it's out of warranty, you better budget ~$2000/yr for maintenance issues.
HTH
I have to strongly disagree. I am no big fan of the LT when it comes to maintenance, but I think that budgeting 2K a year for maintenance is ridiculous. Yeah, there is a few repairs that can cost that much, but they are far and few between, and certainly not every year.

If your handy,or willing to pay the dealer, there is a few things that you can do to cut your chances of having the LT bite you with a big repair. Probably the most important is the slave cylinder drain modification. Also, make sure you do your scheduled maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Nothing makes one better than the other.

Fortunately, it is easy to set up a demo rdie for an LT.
Test ride a GW, and see which one suites your needs best.
Heck--test ride an HD too.
Bob

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Dean_BMW said:
I have to strongly disagree. I am no big fan of the LT when it comes to maintenance, but I think that budgeting 2K a year for maintenance is ridiculous. .

no it is nopt, it all depends on how manymiles a year you put on your bikes

I wish we only had 2k a year in maintence costs on the bike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts