BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding home from work and apply a little brake to turn into my road and I hear the awfullest sound coming from under the bike. It started out as a loud grinding noise that fairly quickly got softer and softer until it was all together gone. So I've now slowed to a crawl and I notice the ABS lights have started flashing so after a quick inspection I find that a bolt had worked its way out of the rear caliper(I just recently replaced my FD) and the previously mentioned grinding noise was the ABS sensor being ground to nothing against the ring. Not sure if the bolt wasn't tight enough or what I did wrong but I was shocked that the bolt backed out. So I've ordered the rear sensor but I'm unsure what the part # for the bolt is. I've looked at some fiches but for the life of me I can't find the bolt I need and I'm wondering if the bolts holding the caliper on are the same size or different? If any of you guys would chime in and let me know what the part numbers is it would be greatly appreciated. Devin

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
The rear caliper has two different bolts. The rear bolt has a shoulder & the front bolt has no shoulder but uses a washer instead. Which one did you loose ?.

Shoulder bolt 34511457496

Standard bolt 34512310887

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm beginning to think this might of been stupidity on my part. The bolt that fell out was the furthest forward bolt but the other bolt I took off to remove the caliper(rear hole) had the washer on it and if I understand you correctly had the shoulder as well. Did I just get the bolts mixed up and the washer on the wrong bolt when putting it back together? You know what they say, some people are stuck on stupid and you can't fix stupid. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
dpittman said:
I'm beginning to think this might of been stupidity on my part. The bolt that fell out was the furthest forward bolt but the other bolt I took off to remove the caliper(rear hole) had the washer on it and if I understand you correctly had the shoulder as well. Did I just get the bolts mixed up and the washer on the wrong bolt when putting it back together? You know what they say, some people are stuck on stupid and you can't fix stupid. :D
The bolt with the shoulder will not go all the way in the hole for the bolt without the shoulder. I don't think it will fit at all if I remember correctly.
Ever since I had a bolt on my forward caliper back out on me, I use loctite on all the caliper bolts. Mine didn't come all the way out though....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I absolutely am going to use a little loctite when I get a replacement bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts