BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 2005 LT with 700 miles on the clock. Bike has never been serviced. Still original engine, trans, FD , brake fluids. Rider has been out of service and bike not ridden in approx 1 year. Bike is hooked up to a gel-battery tender. Has a 7 year warranty.

Question: what problems could this bike have because of the lack of use. Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
You may want to empty the gas tank and put fresh fuel in it.
Do you know if the bike fot its 600 miles service performed? Either way it would be a good time to do it. It is mostly a glorified oil change. While you are at it have the brake anc clutch fluids flushed.

Since you have a 7 year warranty on the bike I would not be too concerned about seals drying out...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the gas. I just top it off with fresh fuel and burn it.

Everyone talks about seals aging. That is a non-issue. Modern seals don't age just by just sitting. I am amazed how that concept just won't die.

As with any bike purchased used, I'd do a full service just to know what has been done. But a bike sitting for a year.... I wouldn't treat it any differently from one that has been ridden regularly.

Don't worry, be happy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
mongo said:
Looking to buy a 2005 LT with 700 miles on the clock. Bike has never been serviced. Still original engine, trans, FD , brake fluids. Rider has been out of service and bike not ridden in approx 1 year. Bike is hooked up to a gel-battery tender. Has a 7 year warranty.

Question: what problems could this bike have because of the lack of use. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Damn!
I never find those kind of deals.
Here's what I would do: change/replace all fluids (you can do everything but brakes/clutch yourself), look hard at the tires for flat spots.
Spark it off, fill up with premium gas, give it 20-25miles to wake up and........
REDLINE the living sweet bageezus out of it. The poor thing is crying so loud, I can hear it.

That motor was made to run, and run high R's baby, stop the abuse, ride like you stoled it, and your about to be caught and locked up for life.

Then, let us know how you like it!!!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I would snap that up in a heart beat, especially if you can get a good price for it. (Gee I donno, its been sitting for quite awhile, not really the color I want but I'll take off your hands) I bought my 03 in 05 with 1300 miles on it. The guy put 1250 miles on it took it in for its 600, then let it sit in the garage. He even bought a new battery because the charge got too low for the bmw charger to charge it. It had been sitting for almost 2 years. I have 45K on her now with no major problems. If you don't want to do it yourself just take it to the dealer to have all its fluids changed. It will be fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Beemerider said:
Where is it exactly? I'll go take a long look at it and let you know what I think...................

;)
Yeah, I bet you will. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I will go forward.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Parked mine in mother-in-laws barn for 14 months with a battery tender connected. Started at the first try. Added air to the tires, gas to the tank and off I went. Miss-fired a bit for about the first half hour. That was it.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Yeah, I'd check the fluids and add some Seafoam and ride the wheels off it. Later on I'd drill the slave though...........not much later on........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's how I got my first one as well. 600 miles and sat in a garage for 3 years! I put 73k on it until the moose incident a couple weeks ago. Paid half price for it back when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

Mine was left parked and neglected for a little over a year. stuck a new battery on her and she fired up first time.

The only issue I had was a stuck rear brake - see thread here - http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37801

I also took a little time to check the front brakes, they were OK. Jobs I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks.

Replace - Engine, Trans, FD Oil and Coolant with some help first time round from Cookie (I'll PM ya Cookie)

Then gonna get the local shop to replace Brake and Clutch Oil, not keen on trying to tackle that one, and I think the general advice here is have the shop do it.

Once these jobs have been done and I've put a few local miles on her, I'll think about new plugs (might do that sooner) and then look to the various other bits like Valves. I'm due 24K services, and rode through the 18K while touring, and just never got round to it. I have a copy of the Clymer, and am going to buy the Vids (Paul Sayeng) might be a misspelling coz I didn't look it up, but from all accounts the Clymer and Vids will enable you to tackle most jobs as long as you have the tools.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thats nothing, don't worry about it. I'd just go around checking fluids, and if it looks bad change it. Maybe put a fuel stabilizer in the tank and top it off with high-octane gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts