BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sweet 2000 LT is pushing 80k miles. So far no real problems other than a shorted O2 sensor last year, which did nothing more than ruin my gas mileage for awhile. Love this bike and have ridden it far and wide in all kinds of conditions.
And even though she has always performed flawlessly, reliably, etc. I'm kinda wondering what I should be on the look out for regarding possible repairs/replacements in the next 10 to 20k.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
gpolakow said:
My sweet 2000 LT is pushing 80k miles. So far no real problems other than a shorted O2 sensor last year, which did nothing more than ruin my gas mileage for awhile. Love this bike and have ridden it far and wide in all kinds of conditions.
And even though she has always performed flawlessly, reliably, etc. I'm kinda wondering what I should be on the look out for regarding possible repairs/replacements in the next 10 to 20k.
I would look at the K1600 GTL as a possible replacement. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
The only thing I would recomend is to start adding some top end lubricant to the oil. One designed to loosen varnish deposits like Alamite CD2. This will help prevent build up on the starter sprag clutch which usually happens around 100- 140K. If it gets bad enough the clutch dogs hang up and won't engage when you hit the starter. All you get is a spining starter and no engine turnover.

Other than that keep riding until you get tired of her

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well, that all sort'a depends on how mechanical and/or motivated you are.

I adhere to two philosophies: 1 (since I have a BMW) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it";
2 (since I also own a Harley), "if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!)

I thoroughly enjoyed tearing into my final drive ( and found it in desperate need of repair), and removing the transmission to replace seals, clutch and slave valve. It wasn't that difficult a job, and the piece of mind now is well worth the effort. I've also replaced stock shocks, improving the ride tremendously, so I'm expecting years and miles of trouble free riding.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The LT is a bike that I admire because of the fact that if you keep up on the maintenance, and keep your eyes open, you'll probably find most issues before they become big issues. You might want to do a pre-emptive tear down on the Final Drive, (threads on the forum would be very helpful ) , but if the maintenance is kept up, that beast still has a lot of miles left..........IMHO............... :bmw:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Greg, my 2000 had about 114,000 miles on it when I totaled it coming back from CCR Osage Beach. The motor was running strong and I wasn't having problems expect an ABS II unit that was out. Regular maintenance was all it got. I agree with John Z, but I wasn't having or even the thought of a starter sprag clutch issues.

Ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Voyager said:
I would look at the K1600 GTL as a possible replacement. :)

Believe me. I'd love to.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great input everyone. Thanks a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts