BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I have 49000 miles on my 2016 RT, and I am on my fourth battery. The first one was replace under factory warranty. I ride the bike often enough that I never found a need for a battery tender. None of the batteries have ever discharged themselves from sitting or under use.

· Premium Member
907 Posts
Wow! Four batteries in 6 years?
I am on my second battery on my LT since 2016.
The same thing with my Harley.
The batteries last about 5 years, and I only replace them because I traveled cross country over the summer with my LT, and 500 miles north on my Harley and I didn't want to take a chance with a dead battery somewhere on the road that would mess up my trips.
So... four batteries in 6 years doesn't seem excessive?
If none discharged themselves from sitting, why don't they last longer?
Please explain why you would need to go through four batteries in 6 years.
Thanks!

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm on my third. 10 years 97,000 miles. The third was just installed a few months ago. The first OEM was the Exide Gel Cell. I accidentally burned it up using a wrong type trickle charger. So basically I have a good track record on batteries. The second was an Odyssey and it lasted almost 7 years. I replaced it as precautionary. I still have it for bench testing purposes. It is still going strong. Odyssey batteries for me work above my expectations.

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
Odysey is an excellent brand with good reputation. That's what I had replaced the Exide on my prior '07 RT with, and it's too bad that they don't have one that's physically compatible with the newer generations RT.

Reactions: kbob12

· Registered
9 Posts
I bought a '16 RT last week. As luck would have it, the battery died a few days later. It was an Exide dated 246/2014.

• Wow

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
I bought a '16 RT last week. As luck would have it, the battery died a few days later. It was an Exide dated 246/2014.
I believe that battery manufacturers will advise that batteries are good for about 5 years, or thereabout. That's why I always preemptively replave mine around that age.

· Registered
49 Posts
Tenders or chargers must not be left on all the time as it can ruin your battery over time. The advice i got from Oxford and Ctek was to plug it in for 2/3 days then disconnect it, leave it for 2/3 days then plug it back in for 2/3 days.
It is not good for the battery to be forced to be at max Volts for a long time as it deteriorates the cells. The battery may still show 12.7 volts or so but without a drop tester, you may never find out about a dead cell but moan your battery keeps going flat.

· Registered
27 Posts
+1 for CTEK
I used to work for CTEK and don't ever remember seeing a recommendation to keep connecting and disconnecting the charger. The CTEK chargers will shut off after the battery is charged, monitor the voltage , and then kick back on if the battery voltage drops. I have no qualms about leaving my CTEK chrgaer on my battery for long periods.

Ski

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I did some troubleshooting or experimenting. I hooked up my CTEK charger with a inline meter. Reads amps and volts. Then I hooked up another meter same type to the battery. So basically the charger puts out 14 or so volts at a rate that varies depending on battery condition. So lets say for argument sake the charger shows 14.2V and 5.5A. The other meter will read lower. So lets say again for argument sake 13.8V. With the CTEK on AGM snowflake mode and in phase three charging mode (third red led) the amp will slowly reduce as the voltage from both meters start to get closer or equal. When the voltages get almost identical the CTEK charger goes into final mode (green led) and the voltage will be around 13.4v +/- a couple tenths. It will stay in this mode if left uninterrupted. I believe after five days or so the charger turns off the charging current and monitors the voltage. Once it drops below a predetermined value the charger will pulse charge it back up and repeat the cycle. This is why you can leave it on indefinitely without harm to the battery. But as always you will find a rare occasion with a unusual situation. Gel batteries are sensitive to constant charging at higher voltages. I will never buy a gel battery. AGM are best and Odyssey works best for my application.

· Premium Member
907 Posts
Interesting... I have not had issues with AGM batteries. My wife and I have 7 vehicles (2 motorcycles) and each of them have AGM batteries. I have battery tenders on both motorcycles which I leave on the motorcycles when I am not riding them. I also put a charger on 3 of the other vehicles one day a month because they are not driven often. After sitting for 4 weeks each of the batteries show 60% which goes back to 100% overnight.
No issues in the last 7 years, other than having to replace each of the batteries after 5 years.

· Registered
27 Posts
AGM batteries are capable of charging at a higher voltage than "flooded" batteries but it will just take longer. However, you should not run a "reconditioning" cycle on an AGM battery. Reconditioninf basically "boils" the battery to keep the mixture of acid and water properly mixed. Since AGM batteries do not have an acid/water mixture the reconditioning process is not needed.

Ski

· Registered
3,238 Posts
Letting a AGM battery drop to 60% is hard on it. I suggest you go to a two week cycle. I just shift between my 4 bikes with two smart chargers. Each is on charge for every other week. But keep in mind this masks any internal battery degradation with a surface charge. So if you ever get an indication like a slow or missed start once, you must do a battery load check.

· Premium Member
907 Posts
Good idea... I will take your suggestion on putting a charger on the cars every two weeks. It is why we let 5 cars go in 2020. It was just too much work trying to keep air in 54 tires, having to maintain 13 batteries (the van has a deep cycle dual battery set up for camping)... oil changes, registration, insurance... the list goes on, and on!
Especially since ten were my vehicles, and my wife had 2. :rolleyes: (She still has two!) :)

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Good idea... I will take your suggestion on putting a charger on the cars every two weeks. It is why we let 5 cars go in 2020. It was just too much work trying to keep air in 54 tires, having to maintain 13 batteries (the van has a deep cycle dual battery set up for camping)... oil changes, registration, insurance... the list goes on, and on!
Especially since ten were my vehicles, and my wife had 2. :rolleyes: (She still has two!) :)
Wow with all those vehicles safe to say you have your own tire change and balancing machine in your garage?

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
I actually don't change my tires as much as I used to... I do have a bit of equipment necessary for most things I need to do. Cheers!
Yeah. . . . .as we get older we tends to prioritize our time a lot more!!! Me too. I used to do a lot of things on my bikes and cars, but as I got older, I started to see that the time spent on maintaining cars can be better used elsewhere, and so my cars started to be sent to the mechanics! Not bikes though. Tires? Used to do them without any "machines", just two pairs of little tire "irons", but nowadays, definitely have someone else do it!

· Premium Member
907 Posts
I did four tires changes last year in my garage replacing tires on my LT, and my Harley. After I wore them out, I removed my tires and took the four to a local tire shop to change. Wow! How easy was that?!! ...though the Harley shop said they didn't have replacement valve stems for the Beemer wheels, so I had to buy replacement stems and install and balance those wheels and tires. Oh, well... it's always something!
Meanwhile, I have too many projects I am working on... my wife's high school VW bug restoration!
A number of sculptures I am carving. Then there's drawings, paintings, and prints I am working on... sheesh.
And, lots of books to read, and numerous musical instruments to become proficient on!
Meanwhile, my next cross country trip for 2023 is in the works.
Life is good.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts