BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery on my 2019 R1250RT (Bought new in 2020) is already gone
There is only a 2yr warranty on it... (Ended last march)

On my 07 RT I had a generic battery that I paid 50$ for, and it was still good when I sold the bike 6 years later....

Since I had the bike towed at the dealer when it wouldn't start anymore, and didn't know the reason. (Everything on the instrument cluster would reset when I tried to start the bike after fueling and the battery would still show 12.2v after a few tries) I ended up with another BMW battery :( from the dealer who told me that because of all the electronics, BMW recommends a BMW battery ( like it was something special... )

My next one will be something else for sure.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMW batteries are sh.t. Buy something else. And change dealers for that lie, or call him on it.
I sure did.
I do my own service anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Pretty sure the battery is a Yuasa which are good batteries.
Not on the RT. The battery on the RT is usually Exide. I have read that BMW do use Yuasa on the GS/GSA though, and I agree that the Yuasa is an excellent battery. That's what I had put in my previous '15 RT. The original Exide did last more than 5 years though, and I only replaced it preemptively before it even showed any signs of dying.

Daniel - do you use any maintenance charger when you park your bike in between rides? I always plug a charger in as soon as my RT is parked in my garage, and I have never had any problems with battery.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not on the RT. The battery on the RT is usually Exide. I have read that BMW do use Yuasa on the GS/GSA though, and I agree that the Yuasa is an excellent battery. That's what I had put in my previous '15 RT. The original Exide did last more than 5 years though, and I only replaced it preemptively before it even showed any signs of dying.

Daniel - do you use any maintenance charger when you park your bike in between rides? I always plug a charger in as soon as my RT is parked in my garage, and I have never had any problems with battery.
My bike on a tender all the time.
That's why I'm surprised that it died so soon.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
My bike on a tender all the time.
That's why I'm surprised that it died so soon.
So am I! BTW, that dealer certainly gave you some BS!!! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
129 Posts
There is a slight chance I am wrong🤓 but I do have a battery fetish and I think I would have noticed when I removed it to put a pig tail on it. I wouldn’t bet my life on it though😊.
All that being said, I wouldn’t be shocked to learn they use whatever battery that is available at any given time.
When I ordered my bike I was certain I read that it would have Hayes callipers on it but was pleasantly surprised it had Brembos.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I killed my oem exide gell battery. What I did was put the trickle charger on the battery for an extended amount of time thinking I was doing the right thing while the bike was sitting. Unfortunately a trickle charger will always keep a minimal amount of current flow to the battery. About 1/4 to 1/8 ampere. That will burn up the gell battery. That constant flow will keep the cells warm and burn it out. A pulse charger is what I should have had on the battery. I now own three pulse chargers for various applications. Also known as smart chargers but that name is deceptive.
CTEK and NOCO are the two brands I use exclusively. Everything else I own
is packed away.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
There is a slight chance I am wrong🤓 but I do have a battery fetish and I think I would have noticed when I removed it to put a pig tail on it. I wouldn’t bet my life on it though😊.
All that being said, I wouldn’t be shocked to learn they use whatever battery that is available at any given time.
When I ordered my bike I was certain I read that it would have Hayes callipers on it but was pleasantly surprised it had Brembos.
I wouldn't wager that you won't find a Yuasa on the RT from the factory either! ;) I hadn't paid attention to what's on my present RT when I put the pigtail on it. Why did you have to remove the battery to put the pigtail on? It's simply connected to the negative terminal on the battery and the positive post external to the battery.

As for the Brembo calipers, there is a whole long story on that, which I believe made BMW very irritated with the US riders and our laws!

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
I killed my oem exide gell battery. What I did was put the trickle charger on the battery for an extended amount of time thinking I was doing the right thing while the bike was sitting. Unfortunately a trickle charger will always keep a minimal amount of current flow to the battery. About 1/4 to 1/8 ampere. That will burn up the gell battery. That constant flow will keep the cells warm and burn it out. A pulse charger is what I should have had on the battery. I now own three pulse chargers for various applications. Also known as smart chargers but that name is deceptive.
CTEK and NOCO are the two brands I use exclusively. Everything else I own
is packed away.
Yeah, if that's what your trickle charger does, then it definitely isn't a good idea to keep one on all the time! I have one of the "intelligent" charger that simply monitor the battery voltage to determine charge level, and only kicks in at different amperage, depending on the battery's charge level. Very easy for me to tell, since the LED will be bright red for full 1.25 amps charging, yellow for half the amperage and green for open circuit or zero amps, which the color that I see all the time after the initial cycle.

Reactions: niel_petersen

·
Registered
18 Posts
2018 + Goldwings have been having some issues with Yuasa batteries not lasting…multiple posts on the GL1800 forum…

Reactions: Ultra54

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I have not had any problems leaving a trickle charger on each of my motorcycles' batteries. I believe modern chargers will cut off when they have a full charge, then maintain. If I am not riding, I have a trickle charger plugged in, especially on the LT!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The only way to confirm if your charger shuts off and monitors the voltage and then kicks back on is to put an inline ampere meter and volt meter combination.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Electronic device

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
All three of my BMWs, including the R1250RT, are maintained with an Optimate 4 charger and are left on 100% of the time over the Minnesota winters. This charger works with Canbus bikes and charges through the BMW outlet and desulfates the battery during the charge cyckes. It can also revive batteries that were once though to be dead batteries . . .

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
129 Posts
Why did you have to remove the battery to put the pigtail on? It's simply connected to the negative terminal on the battery and the positive post external to the battery.
I removed it so I could see what brand it was. The only problem is at this point, 1 year later, I don’t recall for certain. Im inclined to think I’d remember if it wasn’t a Yuasa though.
I believe they are good batteries but even they can have issues from near new as was pointed out above. My 18 Wings Yuasa failed prematurely. First one like that for me though in the many motorcycles I’ve owned.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
I removed it so I could see what brand it was. The only problem is at this point, 1 year later, I don’t recall for certain. Im inclined to think I’d remember if it wasn’t a Yuasa though.
I believe they are good batteries but even they can have issues from near new as was pointed out above. My 18 Wings Yuasa failed prematurely. First one like that for me though in the many motorcycles I’ve owned.
I see! I am not THAT curious!!! ;) All of the batteries that I have taken out of my previous RTs have been Exide, and if BMW uses Yuasa for the GS/GSA, then it would be no surprise that you might find it in the RT as well. Same physical size. OTOH, writing this made me wonder if the electrical spec for the GS/GSA is the same as for the RT? Never paid the GS/GSA very much attentions in details.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My '20 came equipped with a Leoch battery. I've had no issues but wouldn't expect any with a 2 year old vehicle.
As with all my bikes, I use an Optimate 3 to maintain it with a direct lead to the battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts