BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 LT with 24K miles on it. I recently started noticing that the bike is not as responsive as before. It is like when I rev the engine (open the throttle), it takes awhile for the bike to accelerate. I recently put new air filter and spark plugs which did not make any difference. I am thinking about going to Irv Seavers BMW to see if they could figure out. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Matt,
Shot in the dark, did you disconnect the battery and forget to do a throttle reset?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Fuel companies have different blends for summer or winter, performance can suffer greatly especially in a high compression engine..It was a big problem in I/O marine engines, as many being on trailers people filled them at the gas station and would get summer blends that didn't work worth a darn...crappy performance, switched to marine fuel, and they would run awesome....might just be the fuel you have in the bike, Might want to try a different brand, or possibly an additive before you spend a bunch of money on a search...Just thinkin'

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
MattKas said:
It is like when I rev the engine (open the throttle), it takes awhile for the bike to accelerate.
Does the engine RPM's go up but the bike does not accelerate at the corresponding rate when in gear?

What gear are you in?

Do the RPM's respond as you twist the throttle when parked and in neutral?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to Irv Seaver's BMW at my lunch break. The service manager David rode my LT. He thinks clutch is slipping. This may be in line with the oil spot I saw a few weeks ago around right middle of the bike. Now the question is: if Clutch is the issue would Western Service contract cover ? I think I have the option A which is the most inclusive!

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Sure hope it works for ya!

Jer

·
Registered
253 Posts
The rising temperature, different spark plugs, different oil could all result in change in performance.

But clutch slippage at 24K miles is a little early. Do you slip the clutch a lot?

·
Registered
228 Posts
He "thinks" it is slipping?
He should know if it is or isn't..not that hard to figure out.
Try on a hard roll on at 40 in fifth.
Good luck!
Btw..do you run 92 or above?

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
Oil spot . . . middle of bike!!

This is a dead give away for a few issues, assuming not from the oil pan:

1. Leaking rear main seal on engine
2. Leaking front seal on transmission
3. Clutch Slave Cylinder seal leaking and passing oil

All of these seals when they fail can place oil in the bell housing and over time
can eventually get on your clutch. At the first drop of oil coming from this area
you have an issue - period. The quicker you identify and remedy the situation
the lower the cost of repair.

My 2002 leaked at 60K and with just one drop on the floor I took it down for
inspection - mine was a leaking engine seal - I got to it early enough that I did
not need to replace the clutch friction plate or any other clutch parts!!

I just bought a new to me 2009 LT and have drilled a hole in the bell housing that
will enable oil to drop immediately to give me an early warming of the failure of
any of the seals in this area.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
MattKas said:
I went to Irv Seaver's BMW at my lunch break. The service manager David rode my LT. He thinks clutch is slipping. This may be in line with the oil spot I saw a few weeks ago around right middle of the bike. Now the question is: if Clutch is the issue would Western Service contract cover ? I think I have the option A which is the most inclusive!
Hi Matt... Long time no see!

Extended service agreements, at least the higher end ones, typically will cover the clutch replacement IF the clutch failure was caused by the failure of a covered part. IF your contract covers seals and gaskets then I would GUESS that you are covered, BUT... IF the dealer tears your bike down and it turns out that there is no failure of a covered part, you MAY be on the hook for the repair bill. Even if you just have them put it back together so you can do the clutch yourself, the labor charge may turn out to be not far from the labor to have done the replacement. Just sayin'.

Based on the leak, it sounds like a seal, but... YMMV.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Tony,
I was told by Irv Seavers BMW that Transmission seal was leaking and that was covered by Western Contract. But the remaning labor hours for Clutch was not covered. The clucth, itself was not covered either. They are also saying that the clutch is very much worn out and NOT related to Transmission leak at all. This is my 4th LT and never had a clutch issue before. How can the clutch wear out in just 24K miles? How is it possible that Transmission seal leak does NOT contaminate the clutch? I was told that my portion will be little over $1K when I am picking up the bike tomorrow.

deputy5211 said:
Hi Matt... Long time no see!

Extended service agreements, at least the higher end ones, typically will cover the clutch replacement IF the clutch failure was caused by the failure of a covered part. IF your contract covers seals and gaskets then I would GUESS that you are covered, BUT... IF the dealer tears your bike down and it turns out that there is no failure of a covered part, you MAY be on the hook for the repair bill. Even if you just have them put it back together so you can do the clutch yourself, the labor charge may turn out to be not far from the labor to have done the replacement. Just sayin'.

Based on the leak, it sounds like a seal, but... YMMV.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Matt, if your portion for a clutch and tranny seal replace is just over $1,000, then I'd have to guess the insurance did cover more than half. My stealer wanted over $2K for my clutch job and rear main seal.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
MattKas said:
Hi Tony,
I was told by Irv Seavers BMW that Transmission seal was leaking and that was covered by Western Contract. But the remaning labor hours for Clutch was not covered. The clucth, itself was not covered either. They are also saying that the clutch is very much worn out and NOT related to Transmission leak at all. This is my 4th LT and never had a clutch issue before. How can the clutch wear out in just 24K miles? How is it possible that Transmission seal leak does NOT contaminate the clutch? I was told that my portion will be little over $1K when I am picking up the bike tomorrow.
Matt,
My Interstate Diamond plan would have covered the covered seal as well as parts and labor to correct anything damaged by the failing seal. Dealer told me since I had $0 copay on the Diamond, that my share would be $0 IF clutch went bad (at 30k miles) from bad seal. They took a peek and told me clutch was worn and no leaks, so I took bike back and started tearing into it tonight. You might want to call your warranty company and ask them about covered parts and collateral damage. Seems it should not matter how worn your clutch is; if it is contaminated by oil from a leaking seal it ought to be covered.

I could be wrong, I often am, so YMMV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI, I just paid $1430 at irv seavers last week for a new clutch only - no seals.
They quoted me a max of about 1950 if seals were involved.

JR

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you paid is in line with my expense. Irv Seavers applied part of the labor for seals towards the Clutch job. When I looked at the paper work, I realize that they did not even submit anything directly related to Clutch work to Western Service Contract. If I were in Phoenix area, I would probably be able to get this done below $300 at an independent BMW Repair shop that I know. So I think I probably over paid about $700 at Irv Seavers. At least the job is done right, the bike runs great. Irv Seavers refused to drill a hole due to liability reasons. So next time I see a leak, I have to run to the dealer immediately.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Probably the clutch. Oil on it.

My 03 did the same thing, then one day out for a ride and I could rev the motor but the bike accelerated very slow. Put it in 2nd gear and went home slowly and tried to not stop or use the clutch.

Took to dealer- yep clutch slave and also had oil on rear seal.
That was some time ago and no issues since. Sure wish I had know about the weep hole to have it done when the housing was off.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
MattKas said:
What you paid is in line with my expense. Irv Seavers applied part of the labor for seals towards the Clutch job. When I looked at the paper work, I realize that they did not even submit anything directly related to Clutch work to Western Service Contract. If I were in Phoenix area, I would probably be able to get this done below $300 at an independent BMW Repair shop that I know. So I think I probably over paid about $700 at Irv Seavers. At least the job is done right, the bike runs great. Irv Seavers refused to drill a hole due to liability reasons. So next time I see a leak, I have to run to the dealer immediately.
There is a lot of liability associated with drilling a weep hole on one of these things........ Maybe you could have consulted their attorney and signed a waiver fo another $1000 or so which would have held the dealer harmless in case the hole went bad and the tail light fell off at speed. :histerica

Loren

1 - 17 of 17 Posts