Not an LT

30K views 161 replies 62 participants last post by  jorgensen 
#1 ·
Gee wizzz...
It's not an LT.
It's a K16GT/L.
Different bikes.
Why talk like the LT is dead?
Do you think BMW will produce another LT?
Of course they will!
Give them another year.

#3 ·
It looks to me like BMW has dropped the LT and come up with a new bike, the 6-cyl GTL. If this is meant to be a "luxury touring" bike, then it is BMW's way of responding to the years of LT owners complaining about different things and providing multiple wish lists of what they would like to see on the "next" LT. Well, I guess we're getting what we wished for. As has been said, be careful of what you wish for, you might get it. Let's jump about 8 years down stream. I'll bet there will be a hard-core cadre of GTL lovers who bemoan the next model GTL that BMW decides to produce. People won't like the design,the lack of whatever, the addition of whatever, and so on. But golly gee whiz, it sure is fun to speculate. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif ;) ;)

#4 ·
I'm glad I traded my 99 LT in for a New 09 LT......I don't think BMW will ever be able to top the LT as a Luxury Tourer..... Unless they put the 6 in the existing LT Frame..... :)

#5 ·
I will place my money on the K1600GTL being it as far as top touring bikes go from BMW for a while. The gap between the use profile of the GTL and the old LT is too small to justify it. The incremental sales - people that want a BMW tourer but don't fancy the GTL or RT - wont justify the development and production costs.

#6 ·
bmwhd said:
I will place my money on the K1600GTL being it as far as top touring bikes go from BMW for a while. The gap between the use profile of the GTL and the old LT is too small to justify it. The incremental sales - people that want a BMW tourer but don't fancy the GTL or RT - wont justify the development and production costs.
I agree.

I don't have the stats with regard to global sales of the LT, but I have to believe that the US market was their largest - our vast geographical size and road system suits the LT, but in Europe it seems that the lighter "naked" bikes are much more prevalent. There has been a macro shift in the US to Adventure bikes, which obviously BMW plays well in.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see BMW building a true replacement for the LT.

#7 ·
Appears to be a new time for BMW,this bike is retro from a touring gtl, to a gt without the trunk, or a gt sport with no trunk or saddle bags, Id be interested in the sport model but the price difference would have to be great enough to justify this, For the record i will never sell my 2007 k1200lt, its very passanger freindly for comfort, if you checkthe utubevideos you will see the passanger hanging onto the pilot,BMW need to offer arm rests,we will see,,anyway this would never happen on my lt...Matthew

#9 ·
UltraLT said:
I wonder if it will have as bad a seat at the LT. It"s a BMW, of course it will.

Ultra LT
....how else are the aftermarket farkels guys suppose to make money? ;)

#13 ·
Hell, we ride a 10 year old LT and will continue to do so for many more years.
We certainly can't afford to buy a new one now anyways. If things turn around in a few years just maybe BMW may address once again a full dresser for the pure touring crowd.

#15 ·
MattKas said:
One thing for sure is that this new K1600GTL does NOT seem to be targeting Goldwing crowd. So no more competion with Goldwing?
I'm on record as saying I'm not a typical Goldwing owner, but I own a 09 Goldwing and had an 05 before. I also have a 2010 Concours (had a FJR before it). To me, the new GTL may be the perfect bike. What I need is a good two-up bike. But my wife only rides with me six months of the year. The other six months I take the Goldwing out just to keep it from dry-rotting in the garage.

With the new GTL as my two-up bike, I can see actually enjoying it by myself as an alternate to my Concours. I'm already chomping at the bit to see the new GTL and what it would take (financially) to go from my Goldwing to the GTL next year.

#18 ·
I view the LT in the same light as the old Cadillac land yachts. The Coupe DeVille's have been replaced with CTX, and SRX and whatever 3 letter combos..I'm sure this switch from traditional Caddys alienated their old customers and no doubt making the shift cost Caddy old customers but gained a new ones.. This bike will do the same for BMW. This is a new generation of sporty touring bikes.

The LT suffered from horrendous depreciation and poor resale value compared to other BMW models in my market. We'll see how this one fares.

For me, this bike hits the mark. I never cared for the LT. Different strokes and all... :bmw:

I also tried the Goldwing and it was a strange bike to ride.. I felt I was in a car / bike hybrid. Lovely engine, but I did not care for how the bike handled or the riding sensation. At least the LT didn't feel like you're driving a car on 2 wheels.

#19 ·
Here's hoping that BMW is fully aware of what we won't readily admit - passenger comfort is the key. Said passenger, in many cases, yays or nays a bike purchase.
Aging population + demanding SO's = an LT or such in the future.

#20 ·
DarkMeister said:
Here's hoping that BMW is fully aware of what we won't readily admit - passenger comfort is the key. Said passenger, in many cases, yays or nays a bike purchase.
Can't agree more.

Wife "almost" said yes to the RT, but we were both un-happy of the vibrations after a 2-weeks test. Mostly her.... I was complaining more for the lack of power.

Wife said no for the GT (seat comfort, air protection...) and I immediately found it less comfortable than the RT, after just 3 days. Although I loved the engine thrill.

Wife loved the LT comfort, and so did I :)

So, did I really choose by my own jugement? Almost yes :rolleyes:

#21 ·
I believe that murmurs of the 1600GT's shortcomings will be proven wrong. This new engine will give the bike unrivalled smoothness and plenty of power. Hate to tell you but this IS the LT's replacement. I don't think BMW is targeting the Goldwing crowd as much as they are targeting everyone else that's in the market for a Luxury Tourer. The 'over 60' buyers that want an auto centerstand and a reverse gear is a shrinking market and IMO, BMW is going after the younger demographic that are considering a luxury tourer for the first time, not the LT rider that's already riding an LT for the past 10 years.

#22 ·
What I noticed in all representation of GTL no words meaning that LT days are ower ,
they just push the Lt talks to the side, My two cents, when GTL get it's space, NEW LT IS COMING and I'm waiting for it :cool:

#23 ·
The LT is a very good touring bike but it is a 12 year old design and it shows. The GPS is an add on that gets washed out in certin light so does the dash. The seat is unfit for touring. Although I rode it to Alaska this year the seat has been changed for a trip to Virginia.
Is the LT better than a Wing? I think so. I will be getting the GTL or GT as soon as it is available.
Will BMW put out a flawless bike? Maybe.
Will the GTL or GT be perfect? No.
Will we find faults? Yes Lets hope that BMW and our dealer are responsive to any problems that arive.

#24 ·
dabadger said:
Gee wizzz...
It's not an LT.
It's a K16GT/L.
Different bikes.
Why talk like the LT is dead?
Do you think BMW will produce another LT?
I'll take the contrary position --

I believe the K16GTL *IS* the new LT -- delivered in exactly the form we all have been asking for!

For years, what have the vast majority of us asked for?

An LT that is ~ 100 lbs lighter than the K12LT. Check.

An LT with the weather protection of the K12LT. Check.

Luggage capacity as least as big as the K12LT. Check.

Luggage with better internal shape than the K12LT. Check. (looks like the saddlebags won't have nearly the convoluted internal shape as the LT's - particularly the practicality-sucking right bag CD changer arrangement).

An LT with a far better integrated electronics suite. Check.

Passenger accommodations as least as good as the K12LT. Check. (in fact, it looks like they paid very good attention to passenger comfort -- look at the contouring and width of the rear seat, and the moving of the trunk back 30 mm as compared to the GT).

The "King of the Road" presence of the LT. Check. (the GTL isn't just a K1300GT with two more cylinders -- look at the pics with people on it, or Jay Leno's intro -- he's a big guy, and the GTL is obviously a big bike -- bigger than a K13GT; more like the K13's big brother, the football player)

Top-level touring conveniences, like the LT's central locking. Check.

Etc. ...

IMO, a lot of folks have been fooled by the GTL's styling similarity to the K13GT, Kaw 1400 Concours, etc into thinking this is a phyically smaller bike than the K12LT. Doesn't look like it to me.

So, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting on a new "real LT"-class vehicle. It's already here.

#26 ·
I believe that it all depends on what you were expecting as "change" from a new LT.

Some wanted a lighter, more agile bike withouth losing the comfort and luxus of the K12LT: those will be happy with the GTL.

Some wanted a step up towards the 'Wing type: those will still wait for another bigger bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.