BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the last month, I have been getting oil on the front left brake caliper of my 99LT (55K miles). I clean it up, and it returns within about 3 or 400 miles. I figured it was a leaking brake hose, but I could not for the life of me find the leak. Tried to pressurize the system by pumping the brake, but still could not fine the leaking hose. I concluded it was probably an internal leak in the brake caliper, one of the pistons probably. See first two pictures below.

In checking against information on this site, there was a suggestion that the oil may be coming from a leaking fork, and not the brake at all. Well, see third picture, YES, it was a leaking front left fork.

Coincidentally, I had bad tire wear on the left side of the front tire. See picture 4. That is an Avan Azaro tire with about 12K miles. Left side is badly worn, down to the cords.

So in replacing the tire, I removed and replaced the oil seal on the left fork. Lo and behold, that was the problem. Have about 400 miles on the new tire/fork seal and no more leaks.

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem, it wasn't a leaking brake caliper!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
That's normal tire wear. Keep your new one at 42 PSI or above to minimize the wear. You're lucky it was the fork. Had that been brake fluid you would likely have a bunch of paint missing.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,106 Posts
calvarez said:
I thought the LT forks were fake, and it used a shock with a spring?

They are not fake as they do guide the front end however all shock damping and spring functions are performed by the mono shock on the telelever. The oil is in there just so they can leak out something :) . (Lubrication only).

·
Registered
342 Posts
sully2028 said:
Coincidentally, I had bad tire wear on the left side of the front tire. See picture 4. That is an Avan Azaro tire with about 12K miles. Left side is badly worn, down to the cords.
G'day Dan,
How much $$ are front tyres there??

12k miles = 19k+ kms...ok "milage" seems right but WTF has happened to your tyre???

Avon Azaro tyre...can't say I have ever heard of this tyre for the LT...maybe it's a USA thing?

I woulda shot this tyre out 1000kms or more ago.....and I regularly get 20,000kms outta a set of Metzlers with at least 1.5mm of tread depth remaining...<"brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr shudder shudder" looking at that tyre>

health is #1...and that definately doesn't look healthy...hahhaha

cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, that's a lot of tire wear. I would never take my tire that far. On the last two front tire changes I have got 27,500 km max. that's about 17,000 miles. I do a lot of long distance riding on back roads and can't take the chance of having a tire fail because the tread was so worn down that it would be tough to patch.

On the other issue... I got fluid on the concrete in my garage when I left the wheel locked over to the left for a month in the winter. It seemed to put pressure on the dampener, even though I could not find any fluid on any lines on the bike. Strange! That only happened once.

Cheers,
Bill
05 K1200LT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts