BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I have the left/right fairings and nose cone removed on my 2000LT. I intend to accomplish the DDM Tuning HID bulb install that I read about on the forum. Couple of questions before I call DDM. Should I change both the low and high beam bulbs with a 35W and 55W HID bulb respectively, or is only changing the low beam sufficient? If only changing the low beam, should I replace it with a 35W or 55W bulb? Additionally, what lumen range will give the best white light color?

Thanks,

Rob
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I had replaced the High Beam, as well as the low beam with HID. Went hack to the standard H3 bulb, because there is a delay with HID bulbs to "heat up". If I hit my brights, I want instant on. I went with 55w for both sets.

I also went with 5,000 for the temperature; nice and white. The higher the number, the more "blue" you get.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a bad wire from the Mix-It audio to the JM system which required removal of the nose cone to trace wires. Thus, it was an opportune time to replace the stock bulb.

Rob
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used 55w in my '05 low beam and left my high beam halogen in. At some point I'll switch the high beam to LED once I find one bright enough. 5000k is super bright and people say it's like looking at the sun.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
It is not the bulb that is 55 watts it is the ballast. The bulbs are all the same so even if you choose 35 watt now you can always upgrade to 55 watt by replacing just the ballast. 4300K gives the best light output of all the choices out there.

I chose to not use HID on the high beam as I rarely drive at night and use the high beam mostly for signaling and that is a poor use of HID as it takes a few seconds to come to full brightness.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I did install both the DDM Tuning 35w (low) and 55w (hi) and love it. Please note that I do live in a rural area with relatively low traffic. Therefore, the slight hesitation flashing to hi beam is not an issue for me. The bright light far outweighs the delay for me.

While having the nose cone off, you might consider a few other little projects such as LED dash lights and lube of windshield mechanism.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leaning towards the combo 35W / 55W HID install as I intend to participate in multi-day rallies that will have me traveling on unfamiliar roads in the dark of night.

Scott, was the installation of the second ballast straight forward in terms of a easily securable location?

Rob
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm leaning towards the combo 35W / 55W HID install as I intend to participate in multi-day rallies that will have me traveling on unfamiliar roads in the dark of night.

Scott, was the installation of the second ballast straight forward in terms of a easily securable location?

Rob
Navarre, FL
I have the under-cowl mounted PIAA x1100 lights. Therefore, the mount for them creates the PERFECT shelf for mounting the ballasts using zip ties. When I first tried the HID upgrade, I only installed the low beam and used the included mounting tape on the ballast. That didn't work so well, so added the zip ties.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Upon further review.... My low beam was 35w...

I also had to remove the cone to be able to work; hands were too large to get up inside, BTW. This also allowed better access to the frame to do a very clean install of the ballasts to the frame using zip ties.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I did install both the DDM Tuning 35w (low) and 55w (hi) and love it. Please note that I do live in a rural area with relatively low traffic. Therefore, the slight hesitation flashing to hi beam is not an issue for me. The bright light far outweighs the delay for me.
I have both also with no regrets. I run the bright in the day time just to get more use out of it and a little more visibility.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I've done both and laid the ballasts on top of the lamp wrapped in bubble wrap to secure them and to protect them from vibration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the nose cone removal possible without removing all the tupperware? I'm struggling with a headlight ground issue right now...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is the nose cone removal possible without removing all the tupperware? I'm struggling with a headlight ground issue right now...
Sorry, but you'll have to remove both upper side fairings to remove the nose cone.
K1200LT Tupperware Party
You have a Clymer manual yet? You'll be wanting one sooner or later.
And by the way, welcome to the forum

Bob

Reactions: Voyager
1 - 15 of 15 Posts