BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The "happy campers" of the Expresso Riders invite all on our July weekend ride to the great northwest corner of California. One up, two up, couples, singles, and those seeking the company of like-minded riding souls should make their plans and reservations soon!

July 13-15 we have a ride planned up through the Northwest quadrant of the great state of California. Friday afternoon we'll ride up to Redding to take in the Sundial Bridge in sunlight and again lit up for the starlight after dinner. We will overnight at the Amerihost Inn and probably have dinner at either Logan's or the Lumberjack. Next morning we set off for the coast on Hwy 36 which is considered by many to be one of the top five motorcycle roads in the county especially when ridden east to west. We hope to arrive on the cool coast in Eureka by early afternoon in time for a few brews at the Lost Coast Brewery. (Where "big shark" is actually made!) We'll overnight at the very motorcycle friendly Bayshore Inn of Eureka. Dinner will include an evening ride on the bridge over Humboldt Bay to the outer penisula where we'll find the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a former logging camp kitchen. The last of its kind from early last century still serving up great family-style, all you can eat dinners in a unique coastal atmosphere. After breakfast Sunday morning we'll head down Hwy 1 through the Redwood Forest and mosey along the Avenue of the Giants for 30-40 miles. Lunch will be in Willits. We'll break up from there but I will lead a group east on Hwy 20 over the top of Clear Lake back to the Sacramento area. Both motel locations include breakfast and have pool/spa facilities so don't forget your swimsuits and your evening libations.

This our third year for this beautiful run. Expresso Riders is about relaxed touring, reasonable pace, building strong ties, sleeping indoors, and maximizing our quality time together on the road with safety as our first priority. Veteran or newbie you'll find friends, scenery, laughter, great riding, and fun on the Norwester. Spouses and SOs are encouraged! And yes, as the name implies we have been known to stop for coffee now and again! PM with your questions.

http://www.amerihostredding.com/

http://www.bwbayshoreinn.com/

http://www.lostcoast.com/

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=400

Please add your name(s) to the list after you have made reservations!

2. Bob and Jeanie (Smokey too)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Norwester - July 13-15
The "happy campers" of the Expresso Riders invite all on our July weekend ride to the great northwest corner of California. One up, two up, couples, singles, and those seeking the company of like-minded riding souls should make their plans and reservations soon!

July 13-15 we have a ride planned up through the Northwest quadrant of the great state of California. Friday afternoon we'll ride up to Redding to take in the Sundial Bridge in sunlight and again lit up for the starlight after dinner. We will overnight at the Amerihost Inn and probably have dinner at either Logan's or the Lumberjack. Next morning we set off for the coast on Hwy 36 which is considered by many to be one of the top five motorcycle roads in the county especially when ridden east to west. We hope to arrive on the cool coast in Eureka by early afternoon in time for a few brews at the Lost Coast Brewery. (Where "big shark" is actually made!) We'll overnight at the very motorcycle friendly Bayshore Inn of Eureka. Dinner will include an evening ride on the bridge over Humboldt Bay to the outer penisula where we'll find the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a former logging camp kitchen. The last of its kind from early last century still serving up great family-style, all you can eat dinners in a unique coastal atmosphere. After breakfast we'll head down Hwy 1 through the Redwood Forest and mosey along the Avenue of the Giants for 30-40 miles. Lunch will be in Willits. We'll break up from there but I will lead a group east on Hwy 20 over the top of Clear Lake back to the Sacramento area. Both motel locations include breakfast and have pool/spa facilities so don't forget your swimsuits and your evening libations.

This our third year for this beautiful run. Expresso Riders is about relaxed touring, reasonable pace, building strong ties, sleeping indoors, and maximizing our quality time together on the road with safety as our first priority. Veteran or newbie you'll find friends, scenery, laughter, great riding, and fun on the Norwester. Spouses and SOs are encouraged! And yes, as the name implies we have been known to stop for coffee now and again! PM with your questions.

http://www.amerihostredding.com/

http://www.bwbayshoreinn.com/

http://www.lostcoast.com/

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=400

4. Bruce and Denise

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sharkey said:
Norwester - July 13-15
The "happy campers" of the Expresso Riders invite all on our July weekend ride to the great northwest corner of California.

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vicki

·
Registered
319 Posts
Were there!!

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
8. Steve and Mia (The bartender)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Tallyho said:

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
11. Brian and Renna (Hallzee)
We are in!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tallyho said:

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara
13. Dave :bmw:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tallyho said:

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara
13. Dave : :bmw:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara
13. Dave

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long Way Around II

Back by popular demand from the Yosemite Ride is the "let's take Friday off and take the long way around" option for the Norwester Ride. Most of the riders have now secured a three day weekend. The rally point is the Starbuck's on Arena Blvd in the Natomas Park area just west of the Arena exit on I5 at 0830. We'll be coffee'd up, tanks full, bladders empty, and clutches out at 0900. Our route will take us up the Feather River Canyon, around the southern shore of Lake Almanor, through high peaks and bubbling hydrothermals of Mt. Lassen National Park following our objective to arrive in Redding by 1700 to take a peak at the Sundial Bridge in the daylight. Dinner reservations at 1900 have been made at CR Gibbs, a celebrated locally owned restaurant and watering hole a short constitutional from our lodging at the Amerihost. Those interested can take a short evening ride after dinner back to the Sundial to see it lighting up the summer night. :cool:

The long way around will take us through some great riding roads but also diverse temperature changes. It can be warm enough for a cooling vest in the valley while cold enough for liners on Bumpass Pass in Mt. Lassen all in the same 2-3 hour stretch. It will be a great kick-off to an already adventure filled weekend in our beautiful, road bountiful state.

If you can't make the early departure we'll look for you at the Amerihost or at CR Gibbs Friday night! Let me know your individual plans on the Expresso Riders email distribution if you haven't already. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
E X 2

Are you ready? ;)

We'll be well on our way by this time tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Tallyho said:
Are you ready? ;)

We'll be well on our way by this time tomorrow! :D
Bob, for the "late arrivals", what's the ETA for dinner at C.R. Gibbs?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I expect to get to the Amerihost between 4-5pm. The dinner reservation is for 7pm. We'll probably gather at the Amerihost lobby about 6:30pm and stroll over as a group.

·
Registered
860 Posts
AWESOME... just AWESOME!

What a ride... Not even the heat bothered me on the way home... I am still smilin'... To all the "riders" that made the trip... you guys and gals are the best. 805 miles total on my ticker... and I can't wait to do it again...

Pictures soon...

Damn... what a blast... :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Made some new friends, and had a great trip through the redwoods. What a blast!

I'll send you guys some pictures!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quite an action and food and beverage packed three days! I only took those two group shots on the Avenue of the Giants this morning and both came out somewhat dark. I attach one but I guess it's a lot darker in that canopy than I realized! Please post yours when they're ready.

We enjoyed it all especially the pilgrimage to the mecca of "big shark." I don't think Dave minded either!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Another great outing with 909 miles logged in for the three days. As expected we hit the wonderful traffic jam between Rhonert Park and Petaluma and lost almost an hour, but we never had temps over 85 degrees.

Food and company was outstanding as usual and we realy enjoyed the week end away.

I'll add some picts soon.

See you all next month in South Lake Tahoe, if not sooner.......

·
Registered
860 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts