BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a long way for you guys to come but it's 20miles away from the UK with some stunning roads and scenary, not forgetting hundreds of your countrymen who still lay here in peace after liberating Europe. I often stop off at St. Mere Englise that is a shrine for the American Airborne troops and the museum is a must to see. Take a trip sometime you will not regret it.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
This trip is very high on my list...thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures. 5 of us from Canada are planning to do that trip next fall. We will rent bikes in Paris, then ride to Normandy, Dieppe, Flanders etc. My son has just returned from Afghanistan and I feel it is the least I can do to honor our soldiers.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.... The site is sacred. My father-in-law landed the second day and was hit by a machine gun. Spent 6 months in a hospital and then ran a POW camp for the rest of the war. He lived a long life afterwards and only in the last years of his life would talk about it. Some amazing stories.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your thoughts have to be with those guys that went through that as they are doing today somewhere in a foreign land. It all seems so peaceful now you can't imagine what they went through. OMAHA beach like all the others is just a long stretch of sand now. The Netherlands (Arnhem) is another favorite of mine only a 12hr boat ride away and they love the Britts there as we had more involvement in that one ( Market Garden) I think!!.. I try and make it to the cemetry at Oosterbeek in September and I defy you not to stand there with a tear in your eye when the young children of Arnhem lay flowers on the graves, they are all of one nation the lads who are still there...... They are taught never to forget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts