BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 09 LT and the electric center stand seems to work but does not have enough fluid. The reason I'm saying this is that it extends, touches the ground and pushes just a tad and then retracts. It feels it's running out of power to lift the beast. I would like to remove the motor and pump only so I can flush it and fill it up again. Does anyone know if I can do this while the bike is on the kick stand?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
Yes it can but look
for a nice video on removal. Best way to flush the unit is to pull the 19 mm spigot at the base and push the unit up against a bench to cycle the rod to push out the fluid. Then use the same technique to add 140 ml of jack oil as the rod goes in it will suck fluid in and then cover the hole with your thumb as the rod extends. Repeat the cycling until the full 140 ml is in. A leak of just 10-15 ml is enough to prevent the unit from lifting the bike. Do NOT exceed the 140 ml or you run the risk of damage to the case.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I purchased an 09 LT and the electric center stand seems to work but does not have enough fluid. The reason I'm saying this is that it extends, touches the ground and pushes just a tad and then retracts. It feels it's running out of power to lift the beast. I would like to remove the motor and pump only so I can flush it and fill it up again. Does anyone know if I can do this while the bike is on the kick stand?
an addendum to the video....

1. Rather than putting on side stand, its easier to work on the bike if you put 2 x pieces of 2" (50mm) x 6"-8" wide by say 1-2ft long timber under the front & rear wheels (ride it up onto them), then with a friend or family member to help, hold down the centre stand with your foot and rock the bike up onto the stand, just need help to steady the big girl while doing this, one person either side.
Being on the timber gets it high enough to make it easy to do.

2. Don't ride the bike with the centre rod connector (bearing sleeve) still in there unless you put a bolt in to secure it, otherwise you'll lose it and have to buy another one. Easier just to take it out altogether for cleanup and keep it aside till re-assembly.
13 46 52 7 676 556 BEARING SLEEVE, EXTERIOR 0.13 1 $24.84
https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51715&rnd=07242017

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
As I get older retro fitting one to my 02 looks better every day....

Nice video.
I know some consider it a gimmick, but I really like the EHCS. The only thing that would be nicer is automatic outrigger wheels that would deploy at each stop and hold the bike up until under motion again. :grin:

Reactions: gorm5

·
Registered
584 Posts
Now, this is funny and useful. Especially with this mammoth of a bike.
I saw this on a bike just recently. It was being used by a guy who was paraplegic and it was on an adventure bike.
I wonder what happens if you use it on a cambered road. Would it throw you down the hill.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree 100%. When I upgrade to a 1600GTL, I will really miss it.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
an addendum to the video....

1. Rather than putting on side stand, its easier to work on the bike if you put 2 x pieces of 2" (50mm) x 6"-8" wide by say 1-2ft long timber under the front & rear wheels (ride it up onto them), then with a friend or family member to help, hold down the centre stand with your foot and rock the bike up onto the stand, just need help to steady the big girl while doing this, one person either side.
Being on the timber gets it high enough to make it easy to do.
Great advice! I found a couple of 2x8s and I pushed the front wheel on a longer piece and then used the engine to get the rear wheel over the second 2x8. The EHCS had enough juice to get the bike up on the center stand.

I started to remove the motor/pump assemble and it looks like someone tried to remove the center hex bolt and made a mess. After some fiddling I could still remove it. I could not remove one of the hex bolts in the video because it is positioned right over the center stand brace. I only have 8mm allen sockets and they are too long to fit over the brace. I need to get a regular L-shaped or ball end 8mm allen wrench to take it out. I can see some parts are wet so I assume there's a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took some time to clean it. The leak turned into a thick grime. The leak was from the fill port. Previous owner or shop worked on the EHCS and crossed the threads of the fill port which made assembly harder. In the process it they also slightly bent the copper washer/gasket that seals the port. I had to sand the washer on a flat surface to make it nice and flat again (100 grit and then 220 grit). It sealed great afterwards. Oil was very clean but I replaced it anyway.

I did a quick test with a battery and it fully retracting the rod. Assembled back to the bike and it works great. Success! Thank you all for the good pointers. Much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts