BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

[nonsensical crap] Exhausts

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  K100Dennis 
#1 ·
I'm all for function following form. One of my biggest gripes is when a vehicle isn't being 'authentic'. Take exhaust for example. You see that Acura with the bright shiny manly dual exhaust tips...then you see the _real_ exhaust is this little 1.5" pipe, hidden in the middle.

Which brings me to our beloved Beemer. Why on earth do they have this huge, bright, chrome exhaust, with tuned length headers, a healthy looking exhaust...and a pipe that makes a last minute downward turn...which covers the muffler in soot and crap?

#3 ·
Rocketsled said:
Which brings me to our beloved Beemer. Why on earth do they have this huge, bright, chrome exhaust, with tuned length headers, a healthy looking exhaust...and a pipe that makes a last minute downward turn...which covers the muffler in soot and crap?
Better to have the soot and other exhaust on the pipe versus the entire back of the bike? The Remus exhaust system is a good alternative if you like the look and all that goes with it. :)

#4 ·
It's far enough back that I wouldn't think it would get on the bike (although it's entirely possible they discovered something with windtunnel testing.)

It could also be a cost issue in that a [ed:dorky] downward pointing exhaust might cost more than the stainless beauty exist and a mild steel inner muffler pointing downward.

Obviously, there aren't Carbon Monoxide issues, like in a car, but it also concentrates the exhaust soon in a spot on the garage

#5 ·
Rocketsled said:
Obviously, there aren't Carbon Monoxide issues, like in a car, but it also concentrates the exhaust soon in a spot on the garage
Running the bike out on the highway helps to spread that exhaust spot out so you can hardly see it!! :histerica

#6 ·
I have a Honda VT1100T with OEM exhaust that has just a slight slash cut to it (looks like this, except mine is black and creme http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yMP9svPS_7w/0.jpg ). The tips stick out just slightly beyond the saddlebags, but not beyond the fender or license plate. This set up always left black soot over time on the lovely creme color of the bags and even on the fender and license plate. I am grateful that I don't have this happening with the K1200LT

#8 ·
I'm tipping it was picked up during wind tunnel testing. There would possibly be some recirculation of gases/fumes behind the rear of the bike due to it's shape at the rear. Blowing down to the ground ensures the exhaust gas is cleanly swept away well behind the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.