BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm looking to replace my plug wires at 75K because of rough running at hot and the fact the wires appear to be "glowing" during a "water Mist" test. Questions: Can you apply tubing over the wires to make them last longer or is this not a good idea? Has any one tried the Non-OEM wires from Beamer bone yard? They are about $150 cheaper than OEM. I really don't want to spend $250 - $300 for plug wires.
Altmax

·
Registered
191 Posts
Go down to NAPA or whomever you buy your automotive parts from and buy a 4 cylinder set of 7mm wires. Take your plug ends off your wires and when you cut the new wires to length put your plug ends on the wires and there you go, new wires for about 15.00. If that is not cheap enough you need to sell the old girl and sit on the porch licking your nuts, whining about you wish you had a motorcycle to ride

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Don't know about the K75, but many Airheads required a specific resistance in the sparkplug wires......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NNNNNNice..... Too funny. that really paints a picture. I'll give the plug wires a try. Getting too old for the other manuver though. Anyone know if the K1200 reqiures a specific wire resistance?
Altmax

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I believe the resistance component is built into the cap not the wire. If you put your caps on the new wires you should be good to go.

Loren

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wa1200lt said:
I believe the resistance component is built into the cap not the wire. If you put your caps on the new wires you should be good to go.

Loren
Thanks for the Tip! Loren. I'll see if can measure the resistance and I'll post it for futrue reference.
Altmax

·
Registered
36 Posts
1dbweldor said:
Plug wires, Yes several times. Works fine.
Licking my nuts, No I keep falling off the porch so I gave up on it.
Your lucky, I got hit by a car.... :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
92 Posts
PLUG WIRES $250??? You have got to be kidding me?? I am the guy who started the post dealing with the abs brake modulator "problem" on my 04 and probable replacement for $3k plus. I love the ride of the LT but BMW is absolutely "OUT OF THEIR F'n MIND" on parts prices for their bikes. I have no problem spending $20k on a bike but am not gonna spend that again in parts and routine maintenance over the course of 5 to 10 years. Crazy!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Easy now big fella! The fix is $15 if you follow the post.

BTW, I agree with you on the parts cost. My poor old '01 just has to limp along with Prestone antifreeze (it's green and meets specs), aftermarket oil filters (Bosch, WIX, NAPA), aftermarket name-brand DOT 4 brake fluid, Castrol engine oil and Royal Purple gear lube. It still makes it down the driveway without dropping its head in shame.

Loren

·
Registered
92 Posts
Loren....Yes...I agree...lol. BUT...when you are faced with no other option than Factory parts that are ridiculously expensive it really "stinks". I have only owned one other brand of street bike in my 32 years of riding and think I'm putting another one of those in my garage when I can get rid of the LT. That other brand has always had and still does have the #1 spot in my heart anyhow.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I opened up the bike last night and took a good look at the plug wires. Those Dam Germans have designed the wires specifically to fit this bike which almost forces you to buy from them. Nothing is standard on the connectors so you need to use the old connectors. The pegs on the coils will not fit a normal plug connector. I did measure the resistance and it appears to average around 6.4K ohm. I cleaned the wires up and slipped a cable cover over each one. Tonight I will fire it up and test it to see if it runs any better. Let you know later.
Altmax

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gentlemen
Don't let the price of parts or the amount of maintenance be a deterrent to ownership of this fine piece of engineering. Parts can be aquired without having to pay the high price of BMW or mostly without going BMW at all.
I find suppliers for all kinds of parts that will fit directly to the old girl. I have a source for the so called motronics module as well as the injectors and relief valve assembly.
Playing with idea of a stronger clutch to hold the power of a stronger engine with a turbo I ended up going to a totally different injection system. So far this is working fine, but time will tell how it does on the all around, and now that it is getting decent weather to ride with the little missus on the back will put this machine into a different load situation and either confirm my beliefs or prove I was wrong.
In a nutshell, Just because in says BMW somewhere on it doesn't mean you have to buy BMW. Some company probably made it for BMW, Just find that company and buy direct.

·
Registered
92 Posts
1dbweldor said:
Gentlemen
Don't let the price of parts or the amount of maintenance be a deterrent to ownership of this fine piece of engineering. Parts can be aquired without having to pay the high price of BMW or mostly without going BMW at all.
I find suppliers for all kinds of parts that will fit directly to the old girl. I have a source for the so called motronics module as well as the injectors and relief valve assembly.
Playing with idea of a stronger clutch to hold the power of a stronger engine with a turbo I ended up going to a totally different injection system. So far this is working fine, but time will tell how it does on the all around, and now that it is getting decent weather to ride with the little missus on the back will put this machine into a different load situation and either confirm my beliefs or prove I was wrong.
In a nutshell, Just because in says BMW somewhere on it doesn't mean you have to buy BMW. Some company probably made it for BMW, Just find that company and buy direct.
db,
I hear what you are saying and agree if you can go that route. Do you happen to know where I can get an "aftermarket" ABS brake modulator pump for less than $2250. Thats the "discounted price" my dealer is offering me.

I do love the ride of this bike but for the "average weekend tinkerer" like me...anything more than routine filter, fluids, plugs, pads, etc changes on this beast are left to the dealer and outrageous BMW parts prices. Just my two cents....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will take a look and see what I can find on another pump. Personally in my opinion, that would be the wrong route to take. In my limited and feeble mind, if I bought a used item something would be wrong with it and probably worse than the one I have. So in response to this outlook I would go through the one I have and repair whatever is needed. That way I know what I have firsthand.
I have NOT been inside one of these units as of yet. However I just can't imagine someone with a little bit of mechanical enginuety and a few machine tools cannot repair whatever is needed inside. As far as electronics go I have some pretty sharp brainer nerd friends that plays with electronics like the rest of us play with other things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree that it seems these pumps should be "serviceable" but none of the very knowledgeable "Beemerheads" on this website have said that they are. Also...dealers say not serviceable....but hey....I know...easier for them to slap a new one on. As for a used pump...just looking for the cheapest route to get her "fixed" so I can sell/trade it...

Sorry to have taken this thread in a "different direction"...back to the $300 plug wires...lol...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
"Back to the $300 plug wires" :rotf::rotf::rotf: Wait a minute! What the hell am I laughing about?:wack:.

I'm fixin' 'em though! I finally got tired of everytime someone gets within 10 feet of my bike or a spider farts off in some corner of the garage my left mirror falls off. So....... I bought a couple #8 nylon screws and 1"dia washers (all in black I might add) and I'm going to screw the damn things on! They have been knocked off so many times that the plastic backing piece has finally broken off. The only time I ever needed the mirror to break away was when I was backing out of the garage and whacked it against the door.

She breaks? She breaks! In the meantime I'm going to serve those spiders some chili!

Loren

1 - 20 of 24 Posts